Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am REALLY new to Kayak fishing. Mainly just enjoying getting off the beach! I ran into a little problem with keeping my fish fresh while out on the water. I was running a stringer when a 600# Great White attacked it! (ok,ok maybe it was just a 6' black tip). I was lucky in that it bit through the stringer before it could do any damage to the boat. I realized afterward that the whole stringer thing was probably a BAD idea. How do you keep your fish alive till you get them back ashore? Thanks!

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Wow, that happened in an inflatable boat!? Talk about panic. How far offshore were you and what was on the stringer? I do use a stringer for inshore fishing. I would suggest a cooler or vinyl-coated fish cooler bag if you don't want to put them in the water.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that happened in an inflatable boat!? Talk about panic. How far offshore were you and what was on the stringer? I do use a stringer for inshore fishing. I would suggest a cooler or vinyl-coated fish cooler bag if you don't want to put them in the water.
I was only about 150 yards off JB with a Gafftop Sail Cat on the stringer. The cooler bag is a good idea! I'll have to try that next time I go out!

· Registered
1,870 Posts
I've heard of and seen too many stories just like this one, I NEVER use a stringer. Get a 3-4ft fishbag and put a couple 2-Liter bottles of water in the freezer the night before. It'll keep your fish cool and out of the sun for a half-day or more of fishing. Also, you'll have an emergency supply of cool drinking water if you need it.

Alex

· Registered
1,601 Posts
Great reads here..... I'm still cleaning the garage & found a Lindy stringer to add to this debate...... It clearly says its a "tooth proof" wading stringer w/ brass hardware.... to me that means it that can easily be attached to a kayak at one end and a shark at the other for the fishing trip of a lifetime...... it has a 25ft cord so there's fighting room 'tween you and Jaws...... should make for some great video that we hope you would share with us if you survive.... This is easily worth more than the $15 asking price for this adrenaline packed fishing accessory/stringer.... let me know...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.