Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a weed line about 2 to 3 miles out of Navarre.First cast with a cigar minow to the weed line. Then they were all around us and couldnt get them to bite anymore . One guy caught 3 nice ones before we got there. If you go in the morning the weed line should be closer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also Szoccer got the catch on video . I was so freeking excited . Cause it was my first Mahi on a kayak.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If possible, such as when fishing with another yakker, try to always leave a hooked mahi in the water until the next one is hooked up. A lot of times the school won't leave as long as there is a hooked fish in the water. You can reel them up close to the boat just don't pull the first fish out of the water until another fish is hooked up. You will be able to fill your yak up with mahi.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They were all around us, wouldn't hit anything after that. I heard that dropping a cut bait quick with chum could work, I only got one hit like that. I also have video of the schools of mahi swimming under us for hours, very frustrating haha.

I'll have what I got from the trip on video soon, idk how it all turned out, we were looking for pictures and didn't have them of the big king early on.

Also on the day, 1 big king, 1 medium king, 1 big spanish, 1 medium spanish haha. Were getting runs left and right from spanish and kings until about 2. At one point had 3 of the biggest runs I've seen in my life, but somehow stripped the minnow, not sure what it was, but something huge hit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
cool reports and thanks for sharing... good tip on leaving the hooked one in the water untill another is hooked.
This works with the schooly (chicken) dolphin.
If ya get a bigger one, its useless to do this, so put it in the boat.
The bigger dolphin dont school.
One of the best bait I have found for the schoolys when ya get into them is free lining a piece of cut squid. Works every time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Finally got the video with embedded pictures from this trip posted to youtube. sorry it took so long, been pretty busy since, haven't even had time to do any fishing :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
dropped cut bait, they wouldn't touch it. I think Squid would have been the only hope truthfully. Chum was out too, although didn't keep it going too thick the whole time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts