Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I drink a few while kayak fishing, and i keep it at a few. Although, I flipped my yak in the pass a few months back just after I opened beer #1. The boater that stopped to assist me probably thought I was a drunk because he saw a beer can floating next to me... Truth is I caught a wake when I was reaching behind me to put my rod in the holder. It just goes to show you that you never know what's gonna happen. Use common sense, know your threshold and you'll be fine. I personally find it very relaxing sitting in the gulf in my yak and having a beer.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Sniper, while I would like to agree with you but I have been surprised many times on a kayak. Things that happen fast include: Boaters approaching without seeing me, catching fish that are dangerous while boatside, breaking a line that's hooked on the bottom structure and going over the other side of the boat and flipping, Hook through a finger or hand, broken or lost gear.
All of these require a clear head to get through safely and some are split second reactions.

I totally agree that a few beers won't be a problem and are not illegal unless underaged. Just remember to be safe out there. My newest pitch is to tether yourself to your kayak when offshore. Your kayak is just as important as your PFD so you don't want to lose it.

also, I find that the FWC leaves me alone as long as I keep it under 100 MPH. ;0)
I was fishing the Gulf today and thinking the same thing. The wind was blowing real good and it was pretty sloppy out there. Breaking waves including some three footers. It would be easy to miss a breaking wave coming at you and roll you out. With a stiff wind your yak is going to be out of reach before you realize it. Two miles out and even with a life jacket on you are SOL unless you have a VHF tethered to your PFD. Still, you wont be having a good day.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yakavelli, you hit on a good point. Fishing in the flats, 30 feet from shore is a different game from being 6 miles out in the gulf. The message here is be responsible in a way that is proper for the situation you are in.

Be Safe, Have Fun, Catch Fish.

Ted

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Anyone know if Hobie sells a beer funnel rigging option?

actually they designed one and when presented to the Hobie board...9 outta 10 thought it was idiotic...so they never went forward with it... :thumbsup:

but hey, what do you have to worry about...drink all you want guys...it is all good...no problemo, make sure to bring your trash back tho...including cigarret butts. lol.....

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I guess some people see it the same as crack cocaine. No grey area. Drinking beers is bad, m'kay. If you drink beers, you're bad. M'kay. Lmao...I love you guys. Anyways...about the yak funnel...it'll work just fine with rum and vodka right (combined of course)? I mean, if you're gonna do it...do it. It's all the same anyways.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
How dare you Yakavelli. you should not be doing crack on the water or at home just plan bad.:whistling: However drinking and staying under the legal limit is fine in my book. I am on the water to relax and see what bites and a few beers or a shot off the flask is in order for me. The key is to know your limit which every man should know and some of us can handle a lil more. Hell I even have a beer or glass of wine at dinner occasionally and then drive home under the legal limit of course.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree, there is nothing wrong with having a few beers while out fishing. I never leave the dock/beach without a 6 pack. I actually think it is bad luck to forget the beer. I practice the same common sense that yakavelli mentioned. I will drink that whole sixer while fishing the flats in the course of a day but if I am on the Gulf I will bring a few back to the beach. I also consider the ride home because one thing I do not believe in is driving while impaired. I feel as long as you are being responsible about it the FWC/CG generally leave you alone. I do take a different approach while I am running the boat though . I usually do not drink at all and if I do it is just one at lunch to wash down my samich. I just like the way beer taste and a cold beer with lunch is refreshing to me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
actually they designed one and when presented to the Hobie board...9 outta 10 thought it was the idiotic...so they never went forward with it... :thumbsup:

but hey, what do you have to worry about...drink all you want guys...it is all good...no problemo, make sure to bring your trash back tho...including cigarret butts. lol.....
Thinkin' they may need an enema version? :D:D:D....:no: Just kidding guys, don't pound me.:whistling: :notworthy:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts