Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a kayak. And I know that my 6 year old son will be begging me to tag along (we already fish together a good deal). So my question is: Is there a kayak that will accommodate an adult and small child for the purpose of simply fishing the flats? I was told that a Fish N Dive would work. Or is this a silly idea altogether?

Any help is appreciated. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was recently looking and saw an interesting idea with the Malibu gator hatch. It fits on the front of some Malibu kayaks and provides a seat for a young child. This is something I looked at because I have a 3 year old that will want to go fishing with when he gets a little older but I do not want to paddle a tandem when I go by myself.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
AgentWD40 (4/7/2010)I was recently looking and saw an interesting idea with the Malibu gator hatch. It fits on the front of some Malibu kayaks and provides a seat for a young child. This is something I looked at because I have a 3 year old that will want to go fishing with when he gets a little older but I do not want to paddle a tandem when I go by myself.
I agree. The gator hatch would be a good choice

http://www.malibukayaks.com/gatorhatch.asp

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
When my daughter was little I jut put her in the space behind me where my cooler would go. Only on calm days and it was nevera long trip cause of the attention span..

·
Registered
173 Posts
I purchased a Hobie Outfitter 3 years ago for the same reason that you are looking. I have 8 yr old twin girls that I take with me occasionally. I generally take them one at a time if we are actually fishing, but have had both of them in the fromt seat for short trips or just playing. There is plenty of room up there and you dont have to worry about them falling out or tipping you over.

The Outfitter is extremely stable, a fairly dry ride and handles well when I take it out alone.

Peddling rather than paddling also gives you the ability to untangle lines, re tie / re bait hooks, land fish, prepare snacks & drinks and talk to mom on the phone to let her know that everyone is still OK, all while moving to your next spot or repositioning the boat.

If you have time, Key Sailing out on P'cola Beach is having a demo day this Saturday starting at 10:00 am. Several Hobie owners will be there with their rigged yaks and you can try out any and all models.

Good luck with the search.

Bryan

·
Registered
947 Posts
The Outfitter isa great choice as is the Malibu w/Gator hatch. You can also look at the Ocean Kayak Malibu II or Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130 tandem. l had an OK Malibu II and took my daugher fishing with it several times - very stable and can also be paddled solo easily -my son would use the Malibu II solo when we fished together.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
I'd make sure to do some "capsize training" in a controlled situation a fewtimes (a pool?) so your son knows what to do in case you take a big wave and capsize. His job will be to save a flotation device. Then what's the plan to get the boat upright again and get back in.

Make it fun to "capsize" and practice often...

Jim

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a Hobie Outback today. For the short/shallow trips I plan to do with my son, I think this will suffice.

Bryan, it was nice meeting you today. I appreciate you allowing me to pick your brain a bit.

Looking forward to catching some fish!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts