Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When trolling out of a kayak for bonita/mahi/kings, what tackle should I use? I've got some dusters with the triple j hooks on em and some stinger rigs. How far out should I troll and how should I make my runs? (parallel or perpendicular to the beach) I've always stayed nearshore and had a field day on smacks while watching the bigger stuff out deep but now I'm looking to expand my horizons. Any tips are appreciated

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know you posted this a while ago, but since no one has responded, figured I'd share what little advice I have. I would say that I am far from an expert but I've always used a stinger rig with and without a duster and had success trolling frozen and live cigar minnows. You don't have to go out real far to target what you mentioned. I start trolling around where the water changes colors to a darker blue, usually a little bit after the second sand bar, and typically paddle in a big figure 8 parallel to the beach. The figure 8 allows you to switch up your depth and find the fish, as I've found that they are almost always at a different depth depending on the day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know you posted this a while ago, but since no one has responded, figured I'd share what little advice I have. I would say that I am far from an expert but I've always used a stinger rig with and without a duster and had success trolling frozen and live cigar minnows. You don't have to go out real far to target what you mentioned. I start trolling around where the water changes colors to a darker blue, usually a little bit after the second sand bar, and typically paddle in a big figure 8 parallel to the beach. The figure 8 allows you to switch up your depth and find the fish, as I've found that they are almost always at a different depth depending on the day.
I like the idea of a figure 8. I am going to have to try that.

I usually have a few wire rigs with me. I always have a stinger treble on them though. Usually I will troll one rig without a duster and a live cigar minnow. The other rig I have a pink or blue duster on with a jig tipped with a dead cigar minnow. The live cigar is usually the one that gets hit first, but some days the dead minnow will out fish the live.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I also like to troll an artifical, a silver and blue rat'l trap is my favorite, but sometimes if I want something smaller b/c the school are chasing little bait I will use a gotcha or a spoon, maybe a lipped crankbait like a bomber long A.
I am a believer in trolling an artificial pretty much any time I'm cruising. Paddle tail soft plastics troll well too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts