Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
A trolling rod doesn't need much oomph. That is what line capacity is for! I troll with Shimano Speemasters loaded with 500 yards of 20# suffix hi viz on Ugly Stik big water custom 7ft live bIt rods

Excellent combo for just $200 and change.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been using a shimano baitrunner 8000 oc on a seeker aqua dream rod and loving it, but I would like to get a conventional set up for the troll and use the baitrunner for free lining a live bait.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 7' medium action 20-50lb conventional Tiger Rod is one of the rods I use for trolling, it has a nice soft tip section that is forgiving when a big king takes the bait on the initial strike.

For conventional reels it's hard to beat the Shimano Speedmaster for the price, durability and line capacity. I still have a Penn Jigmaster that goes with me every now and then on a trolling rod, the big disadvantage is the gap between spool and frame where small diameter line can get stuck and break-off. Another solid reel option that I like to use is a Shimano TLD Star 15/30 that can be easily upgraded with an additional bearing and carbon fiber drag washers if you so choose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts