Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter in law wants a kayak for general purpose use in Perdido Bay and will want to take her 3 yo with her. Can y'all make suggestions for a decent, stable kayak?
Thanks, Perdido

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a perception sport rambler II 13.5 that is a tandem and holds 550 lbs. I am selling to upgrade to a Hobie. I bought it about two months ago and love it. I can stand in it no problem as it is 34 or 35 wide and have had it 5 miles out in the gulf. $400. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
Is your daughter an amateur, novice or avid kayaker? the tandem might be a good choice as she would be able to rig it as a single and have her daughter in her lap as she paddles. Be it that its a tandem it will be stable and relatively dry. Consider weight, i know lots of women that can handle a few hundred lbs solo. But if shes like my ex she might not be able to handle 50lbs... So transport is also a big factor, most of us have trailers for our yaks or trucks, if she has a honda civic she will have a difficult time loading/unloading. lots of factors but biggest are in no order: Price, weight, stability, room. There is no price on safety but there is one on comfort.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. It will be kept about 15' from the water so transport is not a problem. I'm seriously considering the Ocean Peekaboo for the fun factor for my granddaughter.
Perdido

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
sorry im not familiar with OKs newer line of kayaks other than the Angler versions so i had to google it. It would be a GREAT choice, although the MSRP is quite up there, the daily value of teaching your granddaughter the values of the enviroment and sealife would be priceless. Grand scheme of things that is a good choice for everyday use.

·
Super Moderator
27,942 Posts
I know mine and Logans Malibu 12/14 Stealths have big gator hatches on the front and the back of the hatch has a perfect cutout for a rear end. The child would be facing the paddler....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts