Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought an Ocean Kayak Big Yak 10 and started outfitting. Are scuppers really needed? If so any recommendations? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,912 Posts
What do you mean? Are you referring to the scupper plugs or just scuppers in general? I know mine have scuppers in the foot area, seat, and back storage. They are there to drain water that may get into your yak so w/ out them...you will have a wet ride or collect water making your yak heavier and harder to maneuver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, looks like I'm going to go and buy them. Crazy that they didnt come with them. Hopefully I can get it the water by next weekeend.

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
If you're talkin about the plugs, don't bother, just let the scuppers do their job, which is let the water out that gets in. Otherwise, you'll just be collecting anything that comes over the sides.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Yes u want the scupper holes on your kayak not plugs. If you have no scupper holes on your yak and take on water, you will eventually sink. Not a good idea in the middle of the bay or gulf.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,244 Posts
I have some of the blue scupper plugs free if anyone needs them.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
im still confused. does your kayak not have scuppers and your going to ... make some? or are you looking for plugs? dont bother with the plugs. the holes are there for a reason.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm going to look for the scupper valves. I guess they can regulate water level in the yak.
Why mess with the valves? They are pretty expensive and unless you have your yak severely over-loaded you won't need them (you'll have more serious problems with that). Have you read the previous replies? All the experience on this board and they are telling you plugs are not needed . The only scupper plugs I keep installed are the two under my seat. As a result I rarely get wet at all, a wave comes over and drains immediately thru the scuppers (as they are designed to work).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Randy M for the advice. Hopefully I'll get it in the drink next weekeend and get a better idea. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that they are not a necessity.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I ALWAYS use scupper plugs on mine. If I leave them out for drainage, I end up with wet @ZZ. If I take water over the side, I just pull a couple out and let it drain, then put tem back in. With plugs in, I usually have a dry ride. I guess it all depends on what brand and model yak you have and the conditions that you fish in. If busting surf, I could see that you would want to leave them out.

MUCH cheaper option for scupper plugs.. Go to Academy and buy a pack of yellow foam practice golf balls. Drill a 1/8 hole straight through. Take a 9-10 inch piece of paracord, double over and tie overhand knot at two tag ends. Push loop end through golf ball and tie another overhand know right next to ball. Make knot as tight to ball as you can to create some complession on ball. it makes them watertight. You can make 6 scupper plugs for about $5. Cheap, bright yellow and they float!

·
Registered
447 Posts
..............MUCH cheaper option for scupper plugs.. Go to Academy and buy a pack of yellow foam practice golf balls. Drill a 1/8 hole straight through. Take a 9-10 inch piece of paracord, double over and tie overhand knot at two tag ends. Push loop end through golf ball and tie another overhand know right next to ball. Make knot as tight to ball as you can to create some complession on ball. it makes them watertight. You can make 6 scupper plugs for about $5. Cheap, bright yellow and they float!
Wow, excellent suggestion and details on how to make!

·
Super Moderator
28,912 Posts
:thumbup:
Wow, excellent suggestion and details on how to make!
That is a great idea fer those who like the plugs! Nice going!!!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Here's a pic of one of mine...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts