Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how you guys store these Sabiki rigs on your kayaks?

On the big boat I just lash pieces of 1" PVC, the length of the rig, in a vertical position. That way, I can just leave the weight on it and let the weight pull it down into the pipe and hook the, supplied, snap swivel on top of the pipe but that's probably not going to work on a kayak.

What is the easy way to store these and please don't say wrap it back up on that stupid card that comes with it?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use a beer koozie on the boat when we go deep sea... haven't used a sabiki in the yak yet, but I'd still probably just wrap it around a beer koozie... make sure the hooks are bedded in the foam

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
Im with JD, i use a 7' rod and keep a sabiki on it unless i need to rerig for something else. But once i catch a few dozen i unhook it and ball it up in a ziploc.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I cut the sabiki down to 3 or 4 hooks and store them inside a 3 foot or so length 3/4" PVC. Cap at one end, threaded cap at the other. I cut a groove in the thread where I rest the swivel and screw the cap back on. Glue a small piece of foam inside the cap in case I drop it... Stores in rod holder or paddle keeper.

Attachments

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Save yourself troubles and pick up a Bait Stik. Built in sabiki storage within the shaft of the rod. Easily the best $60 I've ever spent! Actually, I own two and have bought them many times as gifts. Pick them up at Bass Pro Shops.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I also use a bait stik that I got at the outback spring sale for $35. Only problem is that it is dedicated to sabiki and if I wanted to use that rod for anything else that would not work. A spinner "dedicated" to sabiki could always be re-rigged if you found it necessary. That being said, it is nice not to have to worry about those loose hooks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a tackle binder that has see-through zip lock pockets. It also has a mesh zipper pocket to hold some fishing tools, weights, gotchas ect. It's perfect for pre rigging lines prior to getting out on the water. No need to build line on the water. Just pull it out, clip it on and you're back fishing.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
I cut the sabiki down to 3 or 4 hooks and store them inside a 3 foot or so length 3/4" PVC. Cap at one end, threaded cap at the other. I cut a groove in the thread where I rest the swivel and screw the cap back on. Glue a small piece of foam inside the cap in case I drop it... Stores in rod holder or paddle keeper.
I saw this at the Rigging Clinic and thought it was one of the coolest ideas there!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I made a homemade sabiki rod yesterday afternoon out of a 3/4" sched. 40 piece of pvc that cost $2 and change. Havn't tried it out yet in water, but seems to work perfectly in my garage.:rolleyes:

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts