Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you carry a kayak hand pump? I have a REVO and it seems to me even offshore if you have a crack taking on water you are almost better heading in as fast as possible then spending you time pumping water that is going to come back in. Maybe I am wrong. If so can someone explain it to me--thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Stick a few pool noodles in the hull for flotation just in case. It's hard to work a pump if you're paddling.
Yup. This...

I keep about 4 of the large diameter noodles in my 16' WS Tarpon. Ive never taken on much water, but its nice to have them there just in case.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
How many of you carry a kayak hand pump? I have a REVO and it seems to me even offshore if you have a crack taking on water you are almost better heading in as fast as possible then spending you time pumping water that is going to come back in. Maybe I am wrong. If so can someone explain it to me--thanks.
I carry an electric bilge pump powered by a 17.6ah 18650 li ion battery pack. Used it once so far to bail a buddies PA14 that was sinking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a handheld pump. I have never needed to use it on my kayak, but it did save a family that flipped their canoe in the Okefenokee swamp. Their canoe was full of water and they would have been stuck with small kids 4 miles into the swamp!

·
Registered
421 Posts
IMO, a cup to bail out water, a large sponge, or a pump is a basic piece of safety gear every kayak should have when going offshore. Its not safe to assume you will be able to just paddle in first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts