Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about building some pontoons for my yak to add to stability in rough conditions. Does anyone have experience with these and what do you think. I realize it would slow my travel down but I'm planning on having them raised when I'm going from point A to point B and lowering them when I'm vertical jigging, etc. I found a few plans on the internet and it seems pretty simple. Give me your $.02

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
What kind of kayak do you have and are you having serious stability problems now?

Well, I'll assume you are having an issue or you wouldn't be thinking about this. Yes, they are proven, worldwide and work great. I've seen some of the flimsiest, narrowest, smallest dugouts in the world go into the ocean and fish commercially because they have outriggers. Apparently, you have already figured out that they need to be clear of the water, when on the move, to prevent drag. Lots of guys just use one to mitigate the drag. I've seen a lot of they made with a big bamboo pontoon that is curved up on each end. The main thing is to make it hydrodynamic. Pointed on the front end and on the back end.

I noticed that Hobie offers a pair and they are only $70. I don't know if you could fabricate anything cheaper unless you are using the old twin 2 liter bottle filled with foam trick.

What internet sites are you looking at?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fishing out of Ascend FS12t and stability isn't really an issue. But.....if/when they're needed it's a good piece of mind. I just googled kayak outriggers/pontoons and tons of stuff pops up. Some good some ugly.

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
After having already built one set, of pontoons, with aluminum Uni-strut and 4" PVC in Uni-strut pipe clamps, I think I like the ones that are similar to the Yak-Gear Outrigger Pontoons much better. The idea of using Scotty rod holders, or something similar, that are angle adjustable to hold your outrigger poles is a great one. You can have them down or have them up, very quickly or you can take them out of the rod holders and stow them behind you and use the rod holders to hold rods.

I think, in a perfect design, you should have a bracket that allows quick raise/lower and you can get far enough up to be out of the way. If I had it to do over again, I might do it different but I was looking for quick and easy plus pretty easy to remove. Even though I have caps on the ends of the 4" PVC, they still have a lot of drag. Mine are not up/down adjustable. I'm thinking of adding spray foam filled 2 liter bottle tops on the front of the PVC pipe to cut the drag.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a set of hobie outriggers ana for sale. Looking to get 125 plus shipping unless you travel to panama city. comes with all mounting hardware. Got the PA now don't need them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I made a great set of pontoons and love them. Used aluminum flagpole brackets to attach to yak, adjustable, $6 at home depot, wood dowels an PVC, floats were 4 #6 crab floats, had to drive to Foley for them. My kayak is now stable enough that I can stand and throw an 8ft castanet from it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts