Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at buying a kayak. Ive never bought one before. I dont want to spend a small fortune but I dont want a POS either. Are the yaks at Academy any good? Any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Pescador 12 is a great starter yak. $499.00 with seat. Carlilse paddle another $60, life vest $30 and you are ready.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was looking at buying a kayak. Ive never bought one before. I dont want to spend a small fortune but I dont want a POS either. Are the yaks at Academy any good? Any advice would be appreciated!!
Hit up the classified on here. I am still new here but these guys wont steer you wrong.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just bought a Pescador 12 on here for 650 Paddle, anchor, pole holders and fish finder included. Keep your eyes open bud. I apparently got a good deal on this yak. Probably gonna hit up a river next weekend and try it out for the first time. I

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Don't get a pelican!!! The rest of the yaks at Academy are great: ocean kayaks, perception pescadors, and heritage in particular are excellent!

Alex

·
Registered
947 Posts
+1 Wave off on the Pelican. Alex is dead on. Assuming you can't wait or want to buy new, Academy has some good yaks at decent prices but you have to know the scoop. Most do not come with seats, so plan on another $100 or so for a comfortable seat. They sell some Carlisle paddles for $70 or so that are pretty good value. The OK Trident / Prowler, Perception Pescador, etc. are quality boats. They have an Old Town Caspian that looks a lot like an OK Scrambler. If you are big, say 250+, then look for the OK Drfiter - good boat for the bigger guy. West Marine sells some decent boats too but ask here first. Otherwise, cruise craigslist...

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Don't get a pelican!!! The rest of the yaks at Academy are great: ocean kayaks, perception pescadors, and heritage in particular are excellent!

Alex
Heritage are good? Would they work in the surf? Bay, yaking out shark bait? What about the 10' model?

·
Spec-yakular!
798 Posts
I got a pompano 120 i bought it from dvldoc on here for 500 with a seat and a paddle! Awsome boat i love it! Ive had in the bay and about 2 miles offshore! They sell them at west marine for 499! Only bad thing about buying one new is it doesnt come with a seat! I would deff check out the kayak for sale section on here! You can find some good boats at a good price!

·
Registered
977 Posts
:thumbup:Even though this is a bit more expensive than a Pescador, I think this kayak would be perfect for you: http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f77/ocean-kayak-prowler-trident-13-%24850-132874/#post1022550

Here's my reasoning behind that statement. It's kayak fishing we're talking about here. Of course you're going to get addicted (if you aren't already) and of course you're going to want to upgrade. Go ahead and start with the next best thing to a Hobie for 1/3 the price!:thumbsup: Plus Tridents hold their value well so resale is an easy option for whenever you get a Hobie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts