Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the red and green bow light and white aft pointing white light?

I hear some speak of running a white all around as well as having a white hand held light.

According to this sight...
http://boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-9_navlights.htm

We are not required to have any mounted lighting including the all around white light so long as we have our hand held we can show in time to avoid a collision...

Just curious what everyone runs...

Since I will have dual on board 12 volt batteries (very small ones) to run all my electronics and be recharged by onboard dual solar chargers, I may try to go all out on my lighting...

What say ya'll...
Brent

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have an all around 360 white light that I have on at ALL times when I fish from the Kayak at night, I also have a 4 LED headlamp that I keep

on my head at all times also. My thinking is kayaks are hard enough to see in the daytime, so I want to light mine up like the sun at night.

I have seen some kayaks with the suction cup red & blue lights mounted up front, but I myself don't use them. When I stop to fish dock lights I

may turn off my 360 light & just use my headlamp, but if I hear another boat anywhere around I turn the 360 back on.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go with mounted LED lighting if I opt to go the mounted light route...

Heck, I even thought about adding one or two thruhull LED's for night fishin'...:shedevil

Wouldn't mind jiggin calamri while a shark bait is soakin'...

Brent

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm pretty sure FWC will write you a ticket if you don't have a white light on at all times. I have 3 lights on me at all times. White LED on the end of a dowel rod above my head, visible 360deg. A headlamp so I can see what I'm doing and flash at boaters. And a light zip-tied to my PFD, which I am wearing at all times (This is personal preference and I know everyone has their own preference on PFDs in yaks). I'll also sometimes have a 4th light, a SCUBA diving light that I can use as a spot light if I expect to need to a lot of range for signaling say if I'm way out in open water.

Good luck and stay safe,
Alex

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'squatch, I just made a phone call to tally. The guy I was put to said he would have to ask an officer, he got back on and said yes we do have to have a white light on at all times... This bothered me as the fwc site states our lighting laws in Fla are that of the USCG... I told him the way the laws read at uscg...

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;">All vessels should use proper navigation lights. However, non-powered vessels, such as canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and sailboats under 7 meters in length are not required to have lights installed, and may use a flashlight for navigation. The light does not have to be turned on at all times, but should be turned on in time to avoid a collision. (Rule 25)
He broke out the florida "safe boating" pamphlet and found I was correct with the exact wording as above, and is mailing a copy to me so I can show the officer if threatened with citation... He also promised to point this out to the officer who misinformed him...

While i do believe in more is better, as you can see with my intended lighting plans, I am also not one to take kindly to being cited by a misinformed officer.

I will try to scan the pamphlet and post it for all to have available... or just go to myfwc.com and at bottom is a contact phone number...

Brent

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Interesting. I've never been ticketed on my yak since I always have more than enough safety gear plus extras. I've just heard of people receiving one. In this day and age of litigation, I'm surprised there's not a more stringent requirement.

Thanks for calling on that,
Alex

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Prob... I am glad the law is written as such... For a yakker type operator, he could easily get stuck with adverse conditions slowing his progress delaying him... Would suck to try to hold an all around light in your mouth as you paddle/row in the last couple miles or face a fine.

But once again, my thinkin' and yours are similar regarding safety items and redundancy...
Brent

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'squatch, I just got my booklet... due to re-arranging furniture, my scanner cables don't currently reach the CPU... But here is the quote from the book as it is slightly different than I quoted to the FWC fella and there is also a caveat...

Unpowered vessels when underway...
If less than 23.0 feet long, these vessels should:
If practical, exhibit the same lights as required for unpowered vessels less than 65.6 feet in length.

If not practical, have on hand at least one lantern or flashlight shining a white light as in illustration 3 (illustration 3 shows a person holding a flashlight pointed skyward like the oncoming vessel will see us)

The caveat is as follows... and it is a biggie...

All vessels when NOT UNDERWAY
All vessels are required to display a white light visible in all directions whenever they are moored or anchored outside a designated mooring area between sunset and sunrise.

So looks like a staff mounted all around is the only way to avoid a ticket when anchored up at the bridges etc...

Brent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts