Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out the place were staying at on Old River has 2 kayaks for use, not fishing kayaks per say but they'll do. What are the lighting requirements at night? Thought this would be a great way to get at the Dock Lights at Ono. Can I rig a 360 light or does it have to be a special nautical light. Any help would be great. Only 3 more weeks til vacation/fishing mania.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just found out the place were staying at on Old River has 2 kayaks for use, not fishing kayaks per say but they'll do. What are the lighting requirements at night? Thought this would be a great way to get at the Dock Lights at Ono. Can I rig a 360 light or does it have to be a special nautical light. Any help would be great. Only 3 more weeks til vacation/fishing mania.

Just a 360 light. Having port and starboard running lights will misrepresent your ability and vessel size at a distance by a larger vessel under power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can find a waterproof mini-flashlight with a dome on amazon for less than $10.

Rig it to a pole you can mount at the rear of the kayak and that should be good for as short a time as you will be using it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
To be legal and safe, get a "C-light", they cost as little as $10 and work great. They are rugged, waterproof, last more than 24 hours, and are coast guard approved. I just velcro mine to a spare pole when I'm out at night (I dont paddle at night much). They can be taken with you if you ditch and worn on your lifevest. They are an inexpensive but great piece of safety gear. See the links below. Also, I bring a headlamp and a spare light, and a whistle.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-electronics--manually-activated-led-c-light--17623695?recordNum=4

http://www.satpro.tv/ACR-3355-C-Light-Pfd-Vest-Ligh.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5-TXBRCHARIsANLixNxXWMTylTQtvfqAww2ZQkfy-dxPs9gpjblU85RvCknDVweR0xZXeAIaApLqEALw_wcB

·
Registered
263 Posts
Headlamp

I have been checked recently at night and this officer said that my headlamp was enough and he liked them better than a pole light. When you have it on and move your head around it is easier to see. Pole lights get mixed in with shore lights easily./ I have the visi carbon pole light also but always have on headlamp at night. If a boat is coming and its off I switch it on and look at it and watch it until Im sure they see me or their course is ok. I have been nearly ran over under Hathaway bridge in PCB once by a boat with a large bow. Didn't see me till he was way to close for comfort. Be safe and have fun, fishing at night has always been more productive for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts