Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys hit the gulf do you tether your selfs to the yak. I have practiced re-entry and am confident in getting back on the yak but I do worry about being sepperated from it in open water. I diddnt know if there was any down side being attached to the yak itself, like getting tangled up in the leash. In my opinion the pros out weighs the cons, but I have yet to go offshore in the yak so my opinion does not count for a whole lot.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have never seen or heard of anyone leashing themselves to their kayak. That does not mean people don't do it. Me personally no way would I do that. First wear your PFD and if you get separated from the yak you'll eventually catch up to it. Second I wouldn't want a 12-14ft piece of plastic dragging me around underneath it in the gulf. But that's just me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never seen or heard of anyone leashing themselves to their kayak. That does not mean people don't do it. Me personally no way would I do that. First wear your PFD and if you get separated from the yak you'll eventually catch up to it. Second I wouldn't want a 12-14ft piece of plastic dragging me around underneath it in the gulf. But that's just me.
Thanks for the input, Im probably just over thinking things. GO DAWGS!!!!

·
Reel Insurance
3,785 Posts
My opinion is that if you are going to lash yourself to anything in a giant body of water, have a super sharp serrated knife on your chest.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's all about risk mitigation. I fish mainly inshore, but there have been situations in the open bay where I know if I got rolled out of the boat, the wind would carry the yak away faster than I could swim. That would be worse case. I usually do not tether myself to the yak. In the gulf, I would strongly consider it. You would not want to get separated from the boat. Plus, I would try to never go out in the gulf alone. BTW, I always wear my PFD and I have a knife bolted to it. Whistle, signal mirror and other items also stored in the PFD.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Off shore...not a terrible idea if you're alone. I wouldn't do it going through the surf though!

Personally I don't even if alone. I fish a PA and I simply won't go alone if conditions are so bad that I couldn't catch up to it if I fell out. We have so many days that the gulf is like a big swimming pool. No reason to go out it anything much worse than that.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you get turned over in rough surf I dont think you want to be tied to it......had the black eye to prove it and wasnt tied to it! But like stated above if you get seperated from it the wind can cause it to cover a lot of distance quickly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys, I was planning on getting something similar to a surf board leash that can just go on the ankle, but after these suggestions I will probably go with something that can just hook to my PFD so it is easier to get to if I do have to cut loose, and easier to detach before re-entry.

·
Reel Insurance
3,785 Posts
And i would put the leash on my arm on the way through the surf, then switch it to my body or leg once out. That would keep the kayak from pulling you under backwards and potentially drowning you.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not a bad idea really, I was spearfishing once on the mid bay bridge and my kayak anchor rope came untied and by the time I caught up to the kayak I was in water shallow enough to stand at White Point. Probably over a half mile and I didn't have a life jacket on so I was full on swimming with fins. Sucker moved quick with just a decent wind.

As said I think if you wore it after you past the surf and took it off before re entering the surf it is a great idea. I'm not sure how it would work on a peddle drive you may have to do some adjusting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would be a good idea to have in open water. It's unlikely that you would go out in anything big enough to throw you but accidents happen. In the surf it's less of an issue since the boat isn't going very far if you're thrown. I was just talking with someone this morning about taking a SUP leash and attaching it to a kayak when out bottom fishing. They make some that are a coiled leash that stretch from about 4' all the way to 15'. Those stay out of the way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Forget leash

Go in pairs, there are lots of folks on here all the time looking for a fishing buddy. If you are with someone and roll they can assist. The folks that wash up on shore are normally alone. Not likely once through the surf that you will roll, if you do you just either went in some horrible weather or you simply made a bad move on the Yak. Keep your head in center of boat and you can get away with a lot, get your head outside the center of balance and over you will go. Hobies I think are really good at taking an unexpected wave like from the rear or side on without too much fuss. Get a buddy and have fun but watch the weather closely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts