Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bbarton and the Pitt. I'm looking to start out somewhere around or under 600. This not including any rods or reels. I have all that stuff. Just the Yak, paddle, decent seat, any safety items.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You can pick up a new Presacdor 12 from Academy Sports for about that much. The hull is the same as a Wlinderness systems tarpon 120 and is a great start yak. The WS Tarpon 120 was my first.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Seriously, save up for a Hobie. You WILL end up getting one. Spending $600 now just to upgrade a few months down the road...well you can see where Im coming from.

Give me a shout if you want to go fishing on a Hobie, I really think it will help in your decision to save up and get something that truly is the best thing to fish out of or, just something that might get you by.

The fellar I took out today has an OK Prowler and he mentioned that after fishing a Hobie he is going to join the Hobie Nation ASAP as they make fishing so much better!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have a pelican I use to run out shark bait. its a castaway. would I recommend it or buy another?... never. terrible kayak. if you get a good deal on one, don't take it, unstable, slow, terrible tracking, and mine leaks and I bought it brand new from academy. save up and get an ocean kayak or something of high quality. just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
No way. Ask yaksquatch what he thinks about pelicans. There are many other options out there just keep your eyes on craigslist and pff

·
Registered
328 Posts
i totally understand. i have a mainstream kingfish for years before buying my outback. I would say look at Ocean kayaks. you can find them used quite often. they are stable, easy to paddle and surf very well. No one can argue the number of fish caught in OK's over the years...

·
Registered
413 Posts
It would due as a starter Yak. I have a Pelican Castaway, and I'm not overly satisfied with it but it's a stepping stone to the Kayak I do want to get. I didn't like the stability of the Pelican (which mine is even worse than the one you're looking at because it's a sit-in, not a sit on top) so I bought and installed some stabilizing outriggers. Now when I'm in 2-3 foot swells I can take a nap in it. Start somewhere man...If you go to Academy, make sure the Yak they've mentioned has rod holders already....they can charge you extra for the seat, rod holders, paddle, and PFD. The one on Craigslist is probably negotiable as well. Try to work him down a bit, but be resonable...don't low-ball him. Tight lines! YRM

·
Broke Yakin
306 Posts
You don't really need all that mess if you're looking to spend very little to get your feet wet. Get a cheapo from Walmart and learn how to use it in the bayous and bays, then if you want to spend a year's worth of car payments to buy a kayak you'll know what you want. You said you didn't have much money to spend, and you will do fine in an Aruba in any water but the gulf. If you're looking to go straight to the gulf then I would take their advice.

It's similar to how a gun nut answers a question I suppose. If you ask them what gun you need to kill some squirrels because you're interested in beginning a squirrel hunting hobby, but you don't want to spend much money, they will still recommend that you buy a base model Savage .17 HMR with a 3-9 scope and a $90 bipod. That would be on the lower end of overkill as there are certainly better set ups, but it's still far more than you would need.

Is the gun nut wrong? No, that set up would do great, but you could accomplish the same damned thing with a pump pellet gun from Walmart. Just sayin.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You don't really need all that mess if you're looking to spend very little to get your feet wet. Get a cheapo from Walmart and learn how to use it in the bayous and bays, then if you want to spend a year's worth of car payments to buy a kayak you'll know what you want. You said you didn't have much money to spend, and you will do fine in an Aruba in any water but the gulf. If you're looking to go straight to the gulf then I would take their advice.

It's similar to how a gun nut answers a question I suppose. If you ask them what gun you need to kill some squirrels because you're interested in beginning a squirrel hunting hobby, but you don't want to spend much money, they will still recommend that you buy a base model Savage .17 HMR with a 3-9 scope and a $90 bipod. That would be on the lower end of overkill as there are certainly better set ups, but it's still far more than you would need.

Is the gun nut wrong? No, that set up would do great, but you could accomplish the same damned thing with a pump pellet gun from Walmart. Just sayin.
Not a good analogy. Having a cheaper gun won't get you killed. A cheap kayak can be dangerous in the bay let alone the gulf!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Be patient and keep a eye out on Craigslist and on here. I bought my Tarpon 120 on here with paddle and fish finder for $500. I am very pleased with my purchase from a fellow PFF member. Go to your local kayak dealer and test ride some to get some ideas.

·
Registered
947 Posts
As was mentioned before, the Perception Pescador 12 is an exact copy of the 2007 or 2008 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. You can buy it new at Academy for $499. Get a Carlisle Magic Plus paddle (orange blades) for $80, an ExtraSport Osprey PFD for $70 and a seat - not sure what they have - and you are good to go for just a little over your budget. All the other stuff - rod holders, etc. can come later once you know what you want and where...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts