Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We usually come to PCB or Port St. Joe for vacation and I bring my kayak for inshore and gulf side fishing. My wife wants to go to Long Key State Park next year. My issue is I don't know anything about fishing there, do any of you have experience kayak fishing in the keys? I don't want to go down there and spend my whole trip trying to figure it out. How is the fishing? Any pluses over the panhandle? Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fishing in the keys is much more difficult (IMO) than fishing our local waters. Fish are very leader and hardware shy especially when the water clarity is good. so... longer, lighter leaders with the least amount of metal you can get away with.

Fresh, live bait you caught that day is king. Have had some luck with lures, but not near the success we've seen with bait.

Small current canals heading thru mangrove islands will hold fish... have seen dozens of big snook... still have yet to catch one. Chased tarpon on many occasions... still have yet to catch one. Mangrove snapper? Barracuda? Shark? etc? They're everywhere and easy to catch. Specks and reds are there, but not as prevalent as our area... or at least that's what I think.

Be very careful around any passes leading to the Atlantic... the current RIPS through there.

The big advantage over the Panhandle is that you have a chance of catching a trophy fish in the keys.. Bonefish, permit, tarpon, & snook are common over there... they are uncommon here

You'll have fun - it's hard not to

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Well that sounds promising.
Oh yea...I didn't mention the cudas that 3M talked about, they're there also. Did 5 years in the keys, am a conch graduate. '68. Fishing, diving, drinking & working on boats was our past time....Goliath grouper (Jewfish) were also in those mangroves, bridges & wrecks. They were legal to take then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts