Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
i will make my yearly pilgrimage to the Panhandle (Destin area) in mid october and am looking for kayakfishing buddies. So far i have mostly fished around the bridge or in front of the Coast Guard station from a canoe, but this year we will have a new Hobie Oasis and are willing to check out the Gulf.
I will be in the area oct. 10-20.
Looking forward to having a good time
Romain

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
I am always looking for a fishing buddy, I am in pensacola but I'll make the trip to destin at least once, I still need to catch one of those elusive(to me anyway) BFT. Drop me a pm or give me a call when you get into town. I am retired military so I just fish so running out to destin is no biggie.

Chris
910-574-4932

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris, that´s good news.
Anyway no big deal to get over to Navarre or Pensacola beach for a trip.
I will have a retired military onboard most of the time (my longtime local buddy from Niceville).
He enjoys fishing very much, but only gets out on the water when i come over. Somehow retired folks find a lot of things to keep themselves (very) busy.
Last year we spent a night out kayakfishing around 3m Bridge with a guide and caught quite a few bull reds.
Our scheduled trip offshore got cancelled last year, so that is still on the to do list.
I did already catch some BFT off the beaches east of Destin, even caught one 6 ounces shy of a prize in the Rodeo.
I will contact you for sure and depending on weather i/we might even join in the big trip you are planning:thumbup:.
Tight lines
Romain

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love fishing destin , im game if I dont have my son that weekend. I fished out there a few times with some guys disoc and joey but I lost their numbers with the change to a new phone.

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
I hear great things about them, I just don't want to pay for something I can bumble around blindly and eventually find myself....haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The search for the fish is part of the fun of fishing. The satisfaction is so much bigger , if you realize the catch on your own. Of course it is always interesting to share the experience and learn off other people, which is why I posted here.
As soon as there is money involved the customer's expectations are higher and there is some pressure to deliver on the guide, taking some of the fun out of the equation.
Catching is only part of the experience for me. Actually some of the most memorable days spent fishing have been without stellar catching.
Romain

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Yup, I totally agree. I'd rather spend a day drowning bait and catch nothing than at work haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My new ride is taking shape. Ordered a Elite 5 HDI and finalized the rigging of the other stuff with Sunjammers. Hopefully everything will be fitted un pick-up day in 3 weeks.
Chris was kind enough to let me buy some cool stuff off his "old" ride, so very soon i will have a fully kitted out Oasis: fishfinder, anchor trolley, flag pole (and light?), Hobie bait tank, milk crate with rodholders, rodholder extenders and hopefully a lot of mojo.
Can't wait for oct. 9th pick up day. Hopefully my drag will start screaming from oct. 10th...
Will be glad to meet some of the friendly forum members as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yesterday, while we were loading our gear in our car in the hotel parking lot, some scumbags managed to steal our brandnew Lowrance Elite 5 HDI Gold and the hobie battery!
That was not the expected welcome to Destin.This morning we had to wait for the hotelmanager to review the CCcam footage and tmw we will file a complaint with the police.
We were thus limited to just 3 h of fishing today and managed to catch like a dozen skipjacks, but no macks. We had to quit when we ran out of bait.
We still had a good first outing on our new kayak and are looking forward to do better tmw.
Picked up a new fishfinder at basspro tonight and ordered a new battery and will be limited to trolling and sightfishing until we get the new battery.
After the coldfront we should get a smoother nearshore gulf and some more fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts