Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my version of the many kayak carts you can find all over the web. It breaks down and fits neatly in the front hatch. It cost about $40 to build in all. Thought I would share for those needing one of their own. Need pointers, hit me up.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice cart! i built one similar but my yak loaded down was to much for it on a big hill so im trying a new design, trying to decide if i want to tow it in the yak or just to and from the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Axle material

When I made mine, I used 1/2" SS all-thread that I had laying around the house. It worked fine for the axle. I may have drilled the ends to put a clip in it to make it easier to take off the axles. If you use bolts, one will tighten and the other will loosen with the wheels rolling against them. I used Harbor Freight wheels.

The cart is easy to make, but will not adequately support the Hobie Outback. Mine broke on the first bump. The T fittings shattered. These carts may do well on lighter yaks. I have a aluminum plug in cart (factory made) with beach wheels and the other is a folding aluminum rig.

Bob

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
how come most of the carts raise the yak up higher than enough to clear the keel and axle?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's my answer to this question...

Dumb question why would you want to take it with you?
If you leave it on the beach, someone will take it thinking they found something cool, like their new kayak or conoe cart. You may have to leave the water in a different place than where you put in due to medical, weather, or whatever reason. The blue flotations could come in handy if I were to get capsized and need a boost getting back on board. Those were the main reasons for building the cart so that I could carry it on the kayak with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts