Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on fishing the Escambia River, Perdido River, and Simpson River areas in my new kayak. What would be a good length for my anchor line? I've seen people use stake poles instead of an anchor, but those seem to only be useful in shallow water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I don't really know the depth of the rivers. Have any idea of an average? I'm guessing that the depth can vary greatly, but I don't want make my line too short, and I also don't want to be hauling around 150' of line.

·
153 large fishes
1,882 Posts
I would have at least 150' on any vessel...you can get small strong line that takes up no space...maybe 50 feet with 2 stainless clips with a 100' backup line with stainless clips stowed in a zip lock bag for easy clean storage...This is my set up that I move back and forth between my jon boat to my jet ski..works great

·
Squid technician
10,492 Posts
I carry 150' with me on my yak. I carry it in three sections with loops spliced in the ends to attach the next section if needed. I keep the first 50ft topside and the next section in my center hatch for easy access.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input! Carrying in sections sounds like a good idea. Would it be worth carrying a stake pole for shallow sections?

·
Squid technician
10,492 Posts
Thanks for all the input! Carrying in sections sounds like a good idea. Would it be worth carrying a stake pole for shallow sections?
If you got it, carry it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I carry 150' with me on my yak. I carry it in three sections with loops spliced in the ends to attach the next section if needed. I keep the first 50ft topside and the next section in my center hatch for easy access.
I tried carrying 150' for fishing the bay spots for snapper.... it was a messy situation lol. Never thought about the loop knot for segmenting the sections. :notworthy:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I fish those same river mouths in my kayak. I carry 50' of anchor line and have a buoy attached just below the clip. When I hook up with a giant red, I can let the anchor line go and chase the fish - after the release I paddle right back to the little buoy and clip back onto the anchor.

·
Squid technician
10,492 Posts
I fish those same river mouths in my kayak. I carry 50' of anchor line and have a buoy attached just below the clip. When I hook up with a giant red, I can let the anchor line go and chase the fish - after the release I paddle right back to the little buoy and clip back onto the anchor.
I do the exact same

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I do it a little bit differently.

I use my home made "loss proof anchor" with 550 cord for anchor line. I made a reel out of 2 FRIZZBIES back to back. There is a disc of hard foam between the two FRIZZBIES that provides lots of flotation and makes room for more line.

I use a JAM CLEAT to tie off my line. I can release it instantly. The FRIZZBIE reel floats so I can dump it to chase a fish or in case of an emergency where I must get un-anchored quick. I do not use a trolley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts