Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving to pensacola soon on military orders, and plan on getting involved in the kayak scene. I am starting to look for a kayak and I could use the collective wisdom of you guys.

As far as fishing goes, I do it all. Skinny Water, Surf, offshore. That said, I'd like to have a kayak that I can use in the flats and to run a shark bait out past the surf, as well as head offshore with. I know the Hobie's seem to be the collective choice for a multi purpose kayak, but 3 grand is more than what I can spend right now. Additionally, I do not have a truck or trailer. I drive a 2000 4 Runner and will be limited to what I can either put on the roof or hang out the back of the tailgate.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

harp

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Dont feel like you are limited by your 4runner. Others do it. These extenders are fairly inexpensive. My opinion on the kayak is if you cant spring for the Hobie yet then go with an Ocean Kayak.

Attachments

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
I personally would wait until you can afford a Hobie. You'll invest in a paddle yak, spend $$$ getting it rigged out, FF installed, and then see guys working the fish over in a Hobie. Just saying...envy is no fun. I find it next to impossible to fish with a paddler because they can't keep up.

IF you absolutely can't wait, my choice of paddle yak would be a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 or a Jackson Big Tuna.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Get a used Hobie Outback or get a Wilderness Systems Ride 135. They are two must have yaks and are the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the input gents. I may end up going with a used hobie, the PA 12 would work pretty well for my needs. Additional question, are there any groups that go offshore every so often? Would love to get in on that if so!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, where can you find the extensions that attach to the hitch. those would do the trick for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am somewhat new to this group as well. But we have a small group that goes out at least once a week to various different spots.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Bed extensions are sold here at harbor freight. I'm sure you could find a nicer one on amazon. Had one a few years ago and it held up decent.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
thanks for all the input gents. I may end up going with a used hobie, the PA 12 would work pretty well for my needs. Additional question, are there any groups that go offshore every so often? Would love to get in on that if so!
I fish every weekend out of Fort Walton Beach as long as the weather is good. If its rough in the gulf we fish inshore. By we I mean myself and one other yaker. You are welcome to join us any time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
670 Posts
While the mirage drive Hobies are awesome to have traveling offshore. I would not hesitate to buy another Ocean Kayak Trident like my last one. It just makes sense having the pedal drive when going miles offshore. If I ever get stationed where there isn't any big water Ill be switching back.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If hauling in your 4runner, you may want to consider the Outback vs PA12. Quite a bit lighter and easier to handle. However, you can stand much easier in a PA.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
+1 Harbor Freight. Bought mine there 6 or 7 years ago. Still works, cost $20. They may be up to $60 or $70 now, but still cheaper than what you find on the web.
Shit wish id have known that I paid around $120 for mine at a local kayak/surf shop:(

·
Registered
36 Posts
I fish out of a Perception Pescador that I got off craigslist. I wouldn't take it out in the gulf, unless it was dead flat and I was realllllly sure it was going to stay that way, but it does great inshore. An anchor trolley is a must; nothing worse than paddling to where the fish are and realizing you left your anchor in the truck...you'll be fighting the current/wind all day.

I'd like to have a hobie, but I can't justify 3 grand on a boat with no motor. If you've got the means, I highly recommend you pick one up. Otherwise, surf craigslist and see what you can find on the cheap.

Mine works great, and if it's bumpy out...I put the Cape Horn in the water or just go surfing. Welcome to P-Cola.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
I fish out of a Perception Pescador that I got off craigslist. I wouldn't take it out in the gulf, unless it was dead flat and I was realllllly sure it was going to stay that way, but it does great inshore. An anchor trolley is a must; nothing worse than paddling to where the fish are and realizing you left your anchor in the truck...you'll be fighting the current/wind all day.

I'd like to have a hobie, but I can't justify 3 grand on a boat with no motor. If you've got the means, I highly recommend you pick one up. Otherwise, surf craigslist and see what you can find on the cheap.

Mine works great, and if it's bumpy out...I put the Cape Horn in the water or just go surfing. Welcome to P-Cola.
Coaltrain has the Pescador. We have been five miles offshore and offshore in nasty seas. Don't doubt the capabilities of this kayak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's not the capabilities of the kayak I'm worried about exceeding...it's the capabilities of the operator that concern me. It's a really good yak, just don't want to end up in a bad spot since I fish by myself most of the time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a Malibu MiniX and like it a lot. Easy to transport, 50lbs with no gear, short & wide design which is ideal in standing in skinny water while casting; you'll be surprised at how much more water/fish you can see standing v sitting. Fun to catch waves in the surf (granted nothing over knee high) and won't break your bank.

Downside is you won't be making any long journeys with lots of gear or breaking any speed records. But as long as you can park somewhat close to what you want to fish, then it will work out fine.

I drive an 06 Mazda tribute with bike racks on the roof... inserting two foam pieces on the cross bars and strapping to roof racks poses an easy load/unload

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
any thoughts on the ascend 128t? looks like a great yak. also, the jackson cuda, I like that one as well, anyone have offshore experience with it? input has been great so far, thanks gents.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts