Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most folks use for inshore? The kahle's are more like wire and my shrimp lives longer.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Kahle

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
kahles are a pain, and trebles are illegal with live bait in fl. I use a thin wire aberdeen
Trebles and bait are not illegal in FL. Just illegal to "target" certain species that way, ex: red drum, spotted seatrout, etc.

However, for inshore fishing trebles are completely unnecessary. I only use them for stinger rigs when targeting king mackerel in the gulf.

For inshore fishing with live bait, I'm a huge fan of #1 to 1/0 circle hooks (depending on size of the bait) under a slip float. Put a spunky pigfish or croaker out behind the boat, loosen up the drag, and then forget about it till the reel starts singing. The cork and circle hook will pretty much set the hook for you. I've caught a LOT of gator trout while drifting across flats this way. While the livie's in the water behind the boat, you can be actively casting artificials off the front while you drift and cover lots of water.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I primarily use Kahle hooks for inshore and surf but do use small circles as well, primarily owner mutu light

I strongly dislike trebles for the damage they can cause to fish that are to be released but to each their own

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I primarily use Kahle hooks for inshore and surf but do use small circles as well, primarily owner mutu light

I strongly dislike trebles for the damage they can cause to fish that are to be released but to each their own
I agree with that. There's nothing worse then having a small trout inhale a shrimp with a small treble knowing there's no way he'll survive when it's down his throat.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Or the damage trebles can do to the fisherman (or fisherwoman)! Had a pissed off ladyfish jump in my kayak with me and stick one of the trebles in my arm while it was on the other flailing around causing all kinds of personal hell! I've since replaced trebles with single hooks on most of my plugs.

Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts