Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m just taking up fishing here in the Pensacola area. I’m from the pnw and I know the basics of fishing but not to much about fishing here. I will be fishing in perdido bay for the most part off of a dock. What kind of setup would you use from the ground up? What could I be fishing for? Could I get some knowledge and advice?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
How deep at the end of the dock? Does it have a good light that attracks bait at night? Good call above from Realtor. If it's got some channel area not far from the dock, could be some reds running around. Cut bait should do some good. Maybe some flounder around, could try some fingerling mullet, small pin/pigfish, maybe a greenback. Coarse there is always live shrimps, but the small baitfish can break ya. Squid is always good to catch baitfish too. Light at night draws in food for the trout, that's always fun if thier there. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
For bait, as noted, cut mullet or pinfish, or even the artificial Fish Bites can work. For live baits, finger mullet, bull minnows ('killifish' up north), or live shrimp work well - the shrimp will get robbed pretty quick by the pinfish and other bait stealers, though. For artificials, I like a jerkbait like a shadowrap shad or Xrap, a topwater walking bait like Sexy Dawg or a Spook Jr, a paddle tail swimbait style plastic on a jighead worked with small hops along the bottom, or a gold spoon worked with a slow lift and settle wobble.

You might want to consider investing in a sit-on-top kayak, as well. Could give you a little more range to move about a bit, and fish around docks in the area. Just make sure you wear a PFD and have a signalling device like a whistle on board, and if you go at night make sure you're visible / well-lit.

Reactions: SHunter
1 - 6 of 6 Posts