Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend , we were fishing on my Cape horn, with a 200 hp Johnson, when we touched the water in livewell or outside the boat it would shock us! By the time we got back in we were stranded in sand island at the pass. No spark to plugs and drained both batteries. Has a new Power pack on it. Has anyone ever heard of this? Thanks Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
2nd bare wire in water ---check bilge pump / bait well pump --- even if pump is not running,motor could be shorted. Poppy

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You may have a bad voltage regulator or pinched wire from when the powerpack was replaced causing the shock and not charging the batteries. If the engine will turn over good and there is no spark, that may be what happenned. Used to get shocked at the steering wheel when a merc regulator went bad. But as stated, check for battery cables in the bilge area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have to isolate the source. I.E. meaning the mechanic getting shocked. Yes the posts were right, there is voltage dissapating through the hull through rhe water. Only thing you have to do is find the source. Luckly enough all you need is a dva and a bit of wire. Interested give me a call. J&Emarineandrebuiulds.com. thanks jh. 1-850-332-5798

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the tips. as a FYI, this problem only started after I put in a new Livewell pump. Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey you wont believe this, or maby you will. Looks like the person who installed the 200 hp Johnson on this boat left the Battery cables on and to save about 20 min of work, he left about 7 extra foot of cable so he just connected the two cables with bolt and left them loose in the hull. All I had to do was remove cables off the motor and finnish running new cables THAT WAS ALLREADY INSTALLED! By the time I get done redoing all the crappy work a so called "Dealer Tech" did after hours. It will be a new Boat.Believe me when I say TRUST no one when Buying a boat.Have someone with alot of boat experience to check out all the systems. It's worth every dime. Also thanks to Shane Livingston for being a great and fair person to work with. Look him up on craigslist!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey you wont believe this, or maby you will. Looks like the person who installed the 200 hp Johnson on this boat left the Battery cables on and to save about 20 min of work, he left about 7 extra foot of cable so he just connected the two cables with bolt and left them loose in the hull. All I had to do was remove cables off the motor and finnish running new cables THAT WAS ALLREADY INSTALLED! By the time I get done redoing all the crappy work a so called "Dealer Tech" did after hours. It will be a new Boat.Believe me when I say TRUST no one when Buying a boat.Have someone with alot of boat experience to check out all the systems. It's worth every dime. Also thanks to Shane Livingston for being a great and fair person to work with. Look him up on craigslist!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,525 Posts
There was a novel by Alex Hailey called <U>Wheels</U>

It was a novel about the automotive industry. He did extensive research about the industry (this was in 1970 though)

But a point he made was to never buy a car built on a Friday. Workers (not all of them, or even a big number of them) would be be more prone to be hung over, or looking forward to the weekend on a Friday. Monday was the next worse day.

I'd bet it's even more sure in the boat building industry which is MUCH less automated and a single worker does much more on any single boat.

While boats are made over a much longerperiod of time,... imagine a "new guy"working on your boats build... then it's a Friday after a BIG Thursday nightwhen he wires the bilge pump and overstresses(probably)or understresses a crimp to the bilge pump a time or two. Then he works on the raw water washdown pump. Then the nav lights... then...

This is how those horror stories of electrical problems on a brand new boat happen.

Just my opinion of course.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts