Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just so happens that when the weather finally allows for some good days of fishing on the weekend that my car sprung a leak. I've got a BP class oil leak haha..fortunately my buddy invited me onto his boat tomorrow so at least I'll be fishing but it's not gonna feel right with all that room and being able to walk around and go 40mph lol. I'm gonna look like a moron when muscle memory kicks in and I start peddling when he cranks up!

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
Ha! I'm like you, I wouldn't know what to do on a boat now after spending the last 3 summers on a kayak. I guess it's gonna be nice for you to just relax and reel in some fishes with open space. Good luck on your trip and your car repair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea i know how it goes. I've been planing to go out this weekend and The other day i was crossing the bridge from Milton to Pensacola and got a flat tire and ran my car into the wall. Hmm pretty sure it sucked. But i managed to get it half ass fixed so i'm heading out her shortyly

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...one thing I realized this morning was kayaks don't have battery issues, or at least mine doesnt. We realized the battery was dead when he went to back off the trailer. Went to get a new one which took a while and didnt even get on the water until after 9. Saw a huge manatee which was very cool. Didnt catch anything but I got some good casting pracice in!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Well...one thing I realized this morning was kayaks don't have battery issues, or at least mine doesnt. We realized the battery was dead when he went to back off the trailer. Went to get a new one which took a while and didnt even get on the water until after 9. Saw a huge manatee which was very cool. Didnt catch anything but I got some good casting pracice in!

You did not see a manatee. Repeat, you did not see a manatee. UWFO maybe but not a manatee. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
We dont have manatees here. They are prevalent in south florida, that is why everywhere there is water, it is marked with a "no wake" sign. That may not mean much to a kayaker, but I would venture to guess that most boat owners would agree that there are absolutely zero manatees locally. Mermaids are a possibility, but not manatees

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can assure you with 100% certainty that what we saw was a manatee. It was crystal clear water and sandy bottom. The massive body and paddle shaped tail was unmistakable. I was standing on the polling platform when it swam by. Also I saw one on the opposite bank of the sound a few months ago AND got a pic of the gps tracker attached. The first one I saw was while kayaking and I hung around him for a solid 15 mins and he surfaced multiple times but very briefly. He was even directly under the front of my yak at one point

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't seen one in the gulf yet. But I haven't spent much time out there either. I launched from the oriole beach ramp both times I saw one in the sound. I'm guessing he was trying to warm up because he was just cruising along and it couldn't have been more than 5 ft of water

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
huge flounder would explain the paddle tail. Everyone on this forum knows that pictures can be photoshopped, therefore your photographic evidence is null and void. I remember years ago, I was fishing the seawall on the breeze side of Bob Sikes bridge when I saw an interesting critter swim by. He was up against the wall, and so close I could have knelt down and touched him. My first thought was "holy crap a manatee!" Then I realized later, after the fine folks at PFF explained to me the nuances of local marine biology, that it was impossible that a manatee be seen in local waters. If we had manatees, then the powers to be would already know about it. I am sure they monitor these forums regularly, and would have investigated prior manatee sightings and taken proper action in the form of NO WAKE signs everywhere. If we had manatees, they would also very likely restrict boat traffic on every grass flat in the sound and deem it "breeding grounds". If we had manatees, that wonderful fishery at the mouth of the escambia river that you love to fish so much would also be closed so that the biology students at UWF could get "hands on" experience in marine life surveys and "manatee" study. Nope, you did not see a manatee. hint hint, poke poke. Insert smiley face winking at you here.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Like I said, it happened to me too. It is a common misconception. Im glad Steve could help clear this up. Tell him I said hello.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts