Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks who do great work deserve a pat on the back- and this job was exceptional!

Background- My father used to build rods, and hemade a beautiful rod for me when I was a little tyke.....back when we had our Sportcraft cuddy and were fishing kings and dolphin all the time and Destin was a speck on the map with miles of unspoiled beaches. That rod was put through its paces as a youngster learned to troll, spent many wonderful memories with Dad and family, and grew up eating the bounty of her catch- and sadly after we sold the boat :reallycrying and I went off to school and other "growing up" things, the old rods were relegated to the shed and eventuallyI acquired newer rods and reels.

Dad, knowing how much I loved fishingthen and how much more I love it now,recentlybrought my old "baby" out and gave it to me, and I had been afraid to use it for a while because I did not want to ruin such a treasure from my childhood. Then again, it brought me so much joy years ago, it would be a shame to put it to pasture now, so I decided to restore it. After hearing good things about Ron at Goin' Fishin' from the Ultralites, I dropped the rod off to him. He's got a shop in the back- the RodNReel Depot- with all kinds of custom "toys" that I drooled over, and he agreed to bring mine back to life.

Here are before pix:

In the shop handing over my "baby"- hard to see the wear and tear here but the old Penn 4/0 Senator and Dacron line are still in good shape!

The wear and tear was primarily near the guides- corrosion on the metal and under the wraps (picture doesn't give justice to how bad it was- all the white under the wrap was corrosion).

A good bit of cleaning later, and I picked up the rod Wednesday. I was so pleased- I had wanted the rod to stay in as original a condition as possible, no new parts-just with new life. Ron cleaned up the corrosion and restored the guides without draining my pockets and here is the beautiful result!!

Can't wait to get the old gal back out on the water where she belongs. :) I believe in giving credit where credit is due, so here's to you Ron for doing such a great jobpreserving a piece of my childhood that means so much to me!:clap

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Nice post and thanks on the heads up for a good place to go when I need some work here soon:clap

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Dang for a second I was hoping somebody was selling a rod in LSU colors.......good job bringing one back to life!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Hmm,I was standing in that same exact spot about an hour ago when Ron worked his majic on one of my star rods. Yours came out great and i'll certainly be a return customer:clap

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
yep They reworked a old rod that my brother had. It came out very nice. I then had Ron build a custom spinning rod for me with a solid fiberglass blank I got at a Pawn shop.

I have another rod and reel that I need to get to him now. The bearings need to be replaced or cleaned in a TLD 25 that I have. Now you must understand that that reel has never been in a shop and it's 21yrs old now. :) It's due for some Love.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Konz, I have a rod I am finishing up that is purple and gold LSU colors. PM me if you want to see it. It is a Seeker PS85. I will be dropping it off at the Rod N Reel Depot to consign probably monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for all of the kind words. I love hearing from my customers about the work we do. I hope you have the rod for many more years. It was nice seeing you this morning. Let me know how you like the new All Star rod. I will have the numbers on you new Pirate rod soon.

See you soon,

Ron

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
yep, ron does an outstanding job on reels and rods...thing about it is he doesn't knock the bottom out of your wallet...goin fishin' is a good b&t store and usually has bait when others do not. i would highly reccomend their store as well as ron's "magic" he performs on reels and rods, with a quick turnaround...:bowdown:clap

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Man that is sweet bigfish! I'll tell my roomate about it. I'd be all over it if I hadn't already got will to make me a black and gold one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts