Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was one of my bucks I got this January. Decided to save some money and see if I could do this myself. I think it turned out alright. I could degrease it more or apply more coats of the peroxide paste, but it looks pretty white.

Before.

After

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Telum, it's really not that hard. I basically kept it off the ground since January with a tarp over the top (blocked the sun so the horns wouldn't get bleached) and let mother nature clean it out. Then 9 months later i submerged in simmering water (see pic)...

Every time the water got pretty nasty I would take them out, scrape off stuff with a knife, dump water and then start the process all over again until all the skin was able to be pulled off.

It took about 3 times with about an hour simmering each time. Once I was confident it all was pretty much off, I used wire brush to work out some of the remaining tough to get stuff. Then I was off to Sally Beauty supply to buy the 40% peroxide (cream) and the powder of which you then make it into a "paste". This allows the peroxide to stay put so it can work most effectively. Then you paint it on.

Leave it for a few hours and when it seems to stop bubbling, rinse it off. Repeat until it looks like you want. I did it twice with about 3 hours apart and then coated it on really thick before I went to sleep and let it sit about 20 hours, rinsed and what you see is the finished product.

You'll notice i didn't "degrease", but that's because this sat for so many months it drew out already.

A faster way to do it that good taxidermist use is Maciation. They submerge in a bucket, use an aquarium light to keep the temp between 85-92* and every 4-5 days they'll remove the top 1/3rd of the water, add more water and everything will FALL OFF in about 2-3 weeks. Then they'll "degrease" it by changing out ALL the water and submerging it into a mixture of Dawn soap and warm water and changing that until when dry they don't see any of the "dark spots".

Then they use the process I described above to whiten.

That way will really stink, so you'd have to have a spot outside to do the maciation part. But it will speed up the process. I've heard in some cases it can cut this process down to about 4 weeks.

Cost to complete? Your time and about $30 of material which is enough material you could do dozens of mounts so it's darn near costs less than what it would cost to DRIVE to the taxidermist.

Oh yeah, you'll notice no plaque. That's because if you sever the head with a knife properly, you'll be able to use the hole where the spinal cord goes in as your hanging point for a large screw in the wall. I can take a picture of that if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

Just curious, what does it cost to get this kind of work done these days. I know when I got my bow killed ten point about 5 years ago it cost me about $125. I'm guessing it's gone up since then and putting these two side by side, I'm thinking he didn't degrease mine as this is much whiter than the one I paid for.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW-I would like to get it scored as I'm curious to see what it would. Anyone know somebody in Mobile who does it? I'm in Pensacola on business alot so I could always see someone over there one day if no one is over here.

Anyone want to put up any guesses before hand?

·
Registered
812 Posts
mix plain elmers white glue and a little bit of water. paint it on the skull about 3 coats allowing each to fully soak in before applying the next. it looks good now, but after this it will look alot better. FWIW, i always just skin my heads and simmer on low outside for 6-8hrs. I put dawn in the pot and when I pull it out everything falls off and then you let it dry out completely and tighten up. then apply the glue.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
BTW-I would like to get it scored as I'm curious to see what it would. Anyone know somebody in Mobile who does it? I'm in Pensacola on business alot so I could always see someone over there one day if no one is over here.

Probably 120's.

Skull looks good. Very informative on the process.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts

118 3/8. All you need is a measuring tape and a calculator/notepad. It's pretty easy to do yourself as the formula is online.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks good.

I dont let mine rot. I skin the skull before it gets nasty and cut out the eyes and ears. Then tear bottom jaw off and take off tongue. then cut off as much meat as I can and stick it in the cooker like you.the rest of it I do just like you did I just can't deal with the rotten stuff plus it only took a day to get it clean then about 2-4 days of peroxide. From killing the deer to hanging it was like 2 weeks.you can lose some of the nasal bones and some small pieces on the bridge of the nose from boiling the crap out of it but I have only lost that once and it still looked good.

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
You guys are getting to be real experts!! I have had lots of success with doing my own sculls and have now started doing my own taxidermy. Here's my last DIY mount

image-4250247353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts