Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know that I fish the T pier fairly often. Well I haven't been lately due to lack of action but I did stop by there the other day and noticed that somebody placed a crab trap about 60 feet from the pier. Normally I wouldn't care and just fish around it but when we fish there, we fish for sharks and bull reds. It's hard enough keeping a shark out of the old pier pilings but now we have to worry about someguys crab trap on the opposite side....lol At first I just saw it as another obstacle to get by, but as I stood there it started to annoy me a little. I know I don't own the water or the pier, I just think it's a little inconsiderate to put a crab trap there. Why not down the rock pile a ways, he could still catch crab and it wouldn't be in the way. Anyway, Ijust wanted to rant a little. I hope the guy loads up and makes afew dollars, or fills that boil pot. But if your a member, please move it down a little ways when you get a chance. My friends and I would appreciate it.

Again just ranting, not trying to start a 6 page debate.....just blowing off a little steam and asking a favor. Tight lines!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Pier hog!:moon Just kiddin Ray and it doesn't make sense for a trap to be out that far,pretty much in the channel to catch crab. Maybe its a rouge crabber.

·
Banned
910 Posts
A little common sense would say "Don't put it within casting distance of the fishing pier." But common sense seems to be in short supply now days.

If you want to be a dick you could toss a big treble hook out there, drag the trap in, clean it out and then toss it under the pier. Of course that wouldn't be very nice.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah like it was a very nice thing to plant the crab pot so close to the pier. Any time you hook a big fish you will get cut off by the float. It shouldn't be anywhere neare to the pier even casting distance is too close.:nonono

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA! I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind,but I don't know the guy and would hate to do something to a nice guy that just wasn't thinking. It's still in shallow right off the corner of the pier.....I can just see me loosing a nice black tip b/c the line got wrapped in the bouy rope :banghead

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
F*** snagging cleaning out and tossing it back under pier. I'd run it over with my truck then hang it from the pier and let that bass terd know what its about.

·
Banned
910 Posts
overNunder (12/4/2007)F*** snagging cleaning out and tossing it back under pier. I'd run it over with my truck then hang it from the pier and let that bass terd know what its about.

You sound like you have been there before. I am like konz iguess, I wouldn't do anything to it. BUT, I get pissed when I lose a fish on a piling or something. If I was to lose a nice fish because of a crab trap being poorly placed I would definitly do something that is not very nice.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
keep in mind that molesting a crab trap is a 3rd degree felony and more than a few people have ended up in jail because of it.......not to mention they take your boat, motor, trailer, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
biggamefishr (12/4/2007)keep in mind that molesting a crab trap is a 3rd degree felony and more than a few people have ended up in jail because of it.......not to mention they take your boat, motor, trailer, etc.

Do you then have to register as a crab molester?:poke

Sorry, just never heard that terminology for that action before.

Mark

·
Registered
261 Posts
biggamefishr (12/4/2007)keep in mind that molesting a crab trap is a 3rd degree felony and more than a few people have ended up in jail because of it.......not to mention they take your boat, motor, trailer, etc.
Yep Konz- I ran into you Fri night when I went there for bait. That is a terrible spot to place a trap for fisherman- probably good for crab though. I'm gonna chalk it up to ignorance and hope he gets a clue. Maybe someone will be there and "suggest" to him to move it. I was only there a few minutes- Did you get anything?

You are correct. Had a buddy who was on anotherguy's boat withthat guy'sfriend. In Esc Bay they pulled some traps and keep 2 dozen crabs (yes dumbass friend). Turns out they were spotted by the trap owner and he and a LEO met the boat at the dock by surprise. Got all 3 of them for 'molestation of crab trap' and it was a felony!

Also, my buddies friend had been drinking and they gave him a BUI! Took his boat and gear and everything! LEO don't play games when it comes to that kinda stuff, and I support them in those regards. Those crabs they stole represent a portion of the owners livelyhood. It's just plain stealing! And for the BUI- there are no excuses for driving under the influence whether a car or boat.

Yep- $20 worth of crab cost them thousands! The guy got the boat and gear back- after fees of course. Get this- My buddy plead 'no lo contendre', 1 guy plead 'Guilty' and the boat owner plead 'not guilty'. Judge threw the book at all of them.

Obey the laws and you won't get f'd with!

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
You might want to check if there are any pier rules against placing traps off this pier.

Is this the public pier, opposite corner of the Bob Sikes bridge island end pier?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It is the public pier by the 3 mile bridge (gulf breeze side) and the stupid crab trap is on my fav corner. Hell it isnt 50 feet from the pier. Inconsiderate dumb ass. :Flipbird

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I knew it was a felony and that's why I didn't mess with it......but man I could be out there when that guy pulls it up. I'd like to suggest to him (politely) to move it down a little ways.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Ray the trap is a little closer and in the middle of the pier.You can almost hit it with the mullet net.Think it is the same a hole from early in the year.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you happen to "snag" it and reel it in, it should have the owners name and a telephone number for him. Just an idea, I do not think snagging a trap that is within casting distance of a public pier is considered molesting a crab trap. Maybe call the FWC before you call the guy and let them know you caught it to cover yourself.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man that just ticks me off even more. The guy moves it in front of the pier!!! What the hell is he thinking!!!! What a f**k head.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I just sent a complaint to FWC. Not that they can really do much b/c the guy isn't breaking any laws. Although I don't recall seeing any markings on the bouy. They are supposed to have an R on it (if recreational) with the guys info. Anyway I sent them an email just asking if they could contact the guy and ask that he move his trap a little ways.......I'm sure they wont do this (not really part of their job) but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts