Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a good friend and his son out Friday. Conditions weren’t as forecasted. Less than 1 ft seas and 8 knot winds was more like 2-3 ft rollers and 10 knots out of the east. Perfect for Kings! We got a good 20 pounder to start the morning folllowed by several large Spanish. The seas finally laid down enough that I felt comfortable going to 3 barges (20 ft bay boat). We got our share of red snapper, and Lane snapper. Went out to Tex Edwards after and found some remora and hooked into something large that broke me off on 40# floro. Second week in a row I’ve been out to Tex and broken off big fish 4 times. Never seen color. Probably a good AJ or cobia? Either way we had a full cooler and a happy kiddo.

Smoked up about 15 lbs of fish dip today. And it’s gooooood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You shoulda been out there Thursday, that sucked!

There are some big snapper and AJs on the TEX. Are they breaking you off on the wreck? If so try putting more wood to them. 40lb line is stronger than most people actually put on the fish. Personally, Id rather break the line putting too much heat on a fish than letting him run to the wreck, that means I was giving it all I had which in turns gives me a better chance at turning him. Letting them run to the wreck always ends in the same result.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
You shoulda been out there Thursday, that sucked!

There are some big snapper and AJs on the TEX. Are they breaking you off on the wreck? If so try putting more wood to them. 40lb line is stronger than most people actually put on the fish. Personally, Id rather break the line putting too much heat on a fish than letting him run to the wreck, that means I was giving it all I had which in turns gives me a better chance at turning him. Letting them run to the wreck always ends in the same result.
This^^^. If you put good pressure on a big snapper, it keeps their head turned just enough to avoid your line getting behind the cutter on the snapper's gill flap.

Reactions: MillerLight21
1 - 4 of 4 Posts