Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whatta Douche. I have to vent so here we go. I hate to do it, I even hate complaining at a restaurant, but this shit is crazy for sure to me. I contacted Joe earlier in the month on his rod holder page where he was running a sale, so I said I am gonna do it. I usually do all my own work to my boats just to avoid this type of shit. So I drop the boat off on the on the 9th of this month, I was very patient and told him to take his time, I wanted it to look good and professionally done. I texted a few times, and always got return texts, he was getting close to having it done it had been a week now.....well on the 18th he said it would be ready tonight, never got a return text saying it was ready, so I didn't go thurday, had a super busy day on Friday that ended with night @ the wahoos game, so I did not make it. Got up on Saturday listened to my fishing shows, texted joe and he said it was ready in front of the house, Which did bother me cause it was raining outside. I had told him the boat had not been out in the rain since I started restoring and I didn't like it oh well. Get there and hook up the boat no ones home, I take a quick glance and am like WTF, its raining pretty good so I go home and am in disbelief on what this dude did to my boat after 10 days this is what I get for custom rod holders C'MON man. I paid $140 up front supposedly what it says in ad that PFF gets a discount as well as dis. for paying up front, rod holders were supposed to be $15 bucks a piece and he explained that the round bases that looked better were more $ so I said lets do it right I don't won't it looking shabby, he also explained that he would be installing all hardware with 5200 as well, no 5200 to be found, this douche just screwed the rodholders on without even pre drilling and ripping right through gel coat with screw, not a self tapping screw. If this shit is supposed to look good I'm I'm a complete idiot when it comes to welding. I wanted to get 2 rod holders on the back where it leans I explained I wanted the rods to be straight up and not slanted like the transom, I wanted 2 out the back leaning for trolling, and I wanted 2 up front behind the battery? Did I get any of this? No I got 2 on the back leaning, I got 2 upfront in front of the battery right next to where my lights hook up all up in the way when on the deck, 2 more next to the cooler that is always there and already has 2 rod holders on the cooler and I told him I didn't want any there. So I get home looking and cannot believe it I text him immediately and say I will take these right back and get the 140 back, that was yesterday at 10am haven't heard anything back since. All the rod holders had sharp edges in them that I am sure would play hell on the reels and cork.

Now I know I don't have the nicest boat but it's mine. My Great Grandfather and Great Uncle bought this boat new and all dings and scraps have come from them or me its whole life. I explained to him the sentimental value of this boat and then to find it in his driveway for anyone to come by and hookup and leave with it, give me a freaking break, could have atleast had it pointing the wrong way, just sayin. 140 was supposed to cover it but I did not mind going higher I wanted the job done right. The rod holders are absolutely nothing custom to them at all. I would have been a whole lot better buying material and doing them myself. And I guarantee they would have looked better than this. Well sorry guys for being so long winded but this shit ticks me off to no end, I stewed all day yesterday and finally calmed down today. Rod holders were taken off immediately with no 5200 in view. So I am done RANT Over. I am glad for all of you that had good work done by him like I said maybe my boat wasn't up to snuff for him to waste his time on.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flukedaddy
Hey Joseph I want to get some setup on my lil whaler. What would be the best bring the boat to you for custom fit with angle on the back. Whats a good time for you?

That's Too bad it turned out that way. I was following this post hoping that You would post photos of your Boston Whaler when finished... I have a 15' Boston Whaler and want to put some Rod holders in also...
I hope you guys can work something out that is fair and agreeable to both parties...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Wow, we could never get together for him to build some things for mine. Glad he was to busy for me now. I do know he has been offshore a lot with much on his plate, may have cobbled this together at the last minute and that is what happens. Hopefully he will make it right if you are willing to let him try again. I am with you on not liking to talk down on someone in a public forum but you did the right thing here, have to keep vendors honest.

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
Not saying its your mistake or anything but it sure seems like if you are nice and tell people they have plenty of time they take advantage of it and get lazy and wait to the last minute.

Where if you act like a stern dbag and tell them you need it in 1 day, they get right on it and do it right.

Just saying this from past experiences in my life maybe I've just had bad luck idk. Good luck though, I hope you get it worked out. Sorry it had to come to this.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
A buddy of mine had him weld some rod holders onto the polling platform of his boat. They were so out alignment that he ended up having to cut them off and get some else to re-weld them. On top of that none of the gimbal bars in the bottom of the rod holders were lined up straight, so any rod we put in them that had a gimbal would lock in crooked. I guess theres a reason he was half the price of any of the local shops...you get what you pay for.

·
Super Moderator
12,809 Posts
You expected this for $140??? And he left it out in the rain???

Dang.
That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around???

I think you may have been unclear on what exactly you were getting... you actually didn't get a bad deal for the price.

Hell, most weld shops won't pick up the phone for $140.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I can't comment on the price or job, but it is pretty unfair to bash someone like this without at least contacting the vendor and getting his response first. These days, you get what you pay for most of the time or a business won't stay around.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
regardless of the price he paid, it sounds like he did try to contact the vendor, and his original response to an advertising for custom rod holders, he offered to bring the boat to him to be able to measure the angle of the transom to design the rear rod holders . .....
as detail oriented is he seems to be, I can't imagine he just dropped it off and left everything up to the Builder without providing any input as to what he needed and where he needed it.......
I think I would have been upset if that was my boat.... I could have just bought a beach cart and chopped it up for parts if that was the look I wanted......

again I hope they can both work it out so everyone is happy.....

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very Cheap..!!
We had discussed $140 for a starting point I had six holders, don't blame me you put rod holders for $15.

You expected this for $140??? And he left it out in the rain???

Dang.
No I would have expected to pay 120 for whats in the pic it has 8 rod holders @ 15 a piece. ... maybe as he told me an extra $10 for the round mounts.

I think you may have been unclear on what exactly you were getting... you actually didn't get a bad deal for the price.

LOL he had my boat for a week to fit 3 double rod holders, that were in no way fitted to my boat other than screwed in, nothing else. I am sure I could have got close to this at other shops, and it would not look like a bird took a crap on the weld. This was not a shop it was his home.

I can't comment on the price or job, but it is pretty unfair to bash someone like this without at least contacting the vendor and getting his response first. These days, you get what you pay for most of the time or a business won't stay around.
Everytime I texted the vendor he returned my text, except when I picked the boat up and expressed my disappointment he would not respond go figure, if he could not do it in the first place so be it, Tell me what its gonna cost for the job to be done right.

·
Registered
430 Posts
He did my locking rod racks on my truck perfect. I did pay a whole lot more then $140. But that's besides the point.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He did my locking rod racks on my truck perfect. I did pay a whole lot more then $140. But that's besides the point.

Glad you got some good work done. And I would have been glad to listen to the price of what I wanted was gonna cost, and either agree or say nah I am gonna have to wait at that price.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hey John, you are more than welcome to purchase these 3 double rod holders for $140 with just minor scratches oh ya ones pretty bad where the grinder got hold of it. Hell man I was more upset about not having my boat for 10 days.

·
Super Moderator
12,809 Posts
No I'm gonna pass... lol

I reread what I wrote and I really came off as a dick. That wasn't my intention. I apologize sir, and hopefully the situation will be remedied.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No I'm gonna pass... lol

I reread what I wrote and I really came off as a dick. That wasn't my intention. I apologize sir, and hopefully the situation will be remedied.

No problem man, I wasn't trying to come back as a dick either. Just still disappointed, but I do feel better after venting on here, I think this was my remedy of the situation. Oh well Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts