Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a jon boat package around $6,000-6,500. I've never bought something so small like this. Is there room for bargining on the price like trrucks and big boats or am I basically expected to just pay what the tell me the price is over the phone?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G3 1548VBW all welded $2,195, 25hp Yamaha $2,895, trailer 995. plus tax. Its not a "traditional" jon boat I suppose not sure what to call it, but these prices are the best I've seen I've called about 5-6 places...

·
Banned
257 Posts
A suggestion, pay a little more and get the floor insert. You will not be sorry. Also, I have found that you are not likely to get the best price over the phone.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you are not in too much of a hurry, the boat shows start here in the next couple months and they usually have some good deals. Mobile boat show is in February I believe, and the Pensacola boat show is usually right after that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Before you get an aluminum jon boat, go look at a Carolina Skiff j16 . They are about the same price as a jon boat,much cooler in the sun, and definitely a lot quieter. Also with their accessories you can later convert it into a center console and add decks if you choose to do so.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
lsucole (12/24/2009)Before you get an aluminum jon boat, go look at a Carolina Skiff j16 . They are about the same price as a jon boat,much cooler in the sun, and definitely a lot quieter. Also with their accessories you can later convert it into a center console and add decks if you choose to do so.
he may want it to river hunt and fish. i do not want a fiberglass boat of any kind on the river if i am hunting. i hit sticks, stumps, and everything else that gets in the way.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Your right in going a welded alum boat for that area that you want to go.

I looked around at some new stuff at that place in Bay Minette. [Lots of different manufactures] What I noticed most was lack of storage, no washboards and really junk wiring. [copper w/ automotive ends, cheap components.]

One other thing to take note about. The trailer.

It seems that most of the manufactures see fit to put a painted steel trailer under these boats.

Do NOT accept a painted steel trailer. Sooner or later your going to put this boat in some saltwater. We have a lot of it around here. :)

At a min. a hot dipped galvanized trailer that has Posi Lube spindles on the axle. [No Bearing Buddies]

That is why I bought used and am redoing it.

With some more looking you can save some money on a pretty new used one. You will also get more with it.

IE: Stuff that it takes to rig a boat to make it really usable.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I bought the Tracker Grizzly 1648, $2100.00ish, Merc 4 stroke, elec/tiller $3100.00ish, Aluminum floor and wall kit $100.00, Used galvanized trailer in excellent cond.$350.00, Did all the wiring, lights, bilge pump, live well, gps/sonar my self.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Eyed this one for over a year on a driveway I passed often then finally stopped and offer the owner 2k...He jumped all over my offer and sinceI invested approx $1,500.00 in upgrades and still looking for a trolling motor but well worth it...

Thisis a customhull originally fabricated by Tim/Breeze Fab in 1999 and this thing is a tank...Tim also faba new center consolesince I acquired and a few extras such as rod holders that I can troll the bay with...I also coated the top side with Rhino Lining.

Daniel Scallion with a bull from the pass....

Now I'm ready for the river, flounder hunting or just chasing reds around the pass...Great all around inshore boat for me.

Good luck on your quest to find that perfect jon boat and post some pics of your success.

Jimmy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts