Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to get a 14ft jon boat out to the pensacola beach pier? Where would be the best place to launch? I heard sherman cove. Someone told me if I hug the shore around fort pickens I could make it but I am not sure I never been there but I heard it's real rough. I just want to fish far out from the pier and want to know if its possible to get out there. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
That's a LOOOOONG ride in a 14' jonboat. Don't think I would try that one with out some one in a biggerboat following me, and you might lose your ride when you take a good wave.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I didn't think we are allowed to get that close to the pier? I can remember surfing close to it and the sheriff's dept. was up on the pier with a loud speaker and told us to meet him on the beach. $25 fine. I have a 15' Jon boat and I would'nt touch that, but if you do, good luck.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Seems like a lot of trouble to me just to fish next to the pier. If your gonna take that long a ride in a 14' jon boat you might as well head on out to the frieghter. Take a camera with you and post some pics of your trip.

·
Registered
724 Posts
in the younger and smarter days (seemed like smarter back then), i would take my 12' alum v-hull with a 9.9 honda to the 3 barges, regularly. riding through the pass was very interesting.

if you do it, i wouldnt be too close to the beach. in shallow water you will get swamped from the waves. since the pass is usually just rollers, you may be ok. biggest problem will be getting sideways and then get ready to take a drink. but im with the rest, why in the world would you want to fish the pier with all the great inshore fishing you have access to. if you're willing to launch at sherman/navy point/shoreline, then you will have a minimum about 12-18 mile ride, one way! oh, and bring extra fuel. and life jackets. and a waterproof handheld vhf. and a drybag for your cellphone/wallet. that should do it. oh wait, flares, vienna sausages, a gallon of paint and some asbestos siding.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I see a lot of fish activity out side the pier. I don't know any other places to go. Whats the freighter? I don't have a gps so I think it will be hard for me to find places...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Man you just need to find someone that will let you tag along on there boat.Im sure there are a few on here as long as you help out with gas and such.If you really are serious about the jon boat I remember we use to do the same but we would go to navarre and launch off the beach by the pier and kill the ling and kings.It was fun but you have to time the waves right or you will get swamped.

·
Registered
782 Posts
well, if you do make it all the way around to the pier, the rats are gonna wear your ass out with 1-6 oz lead!!! i would wear body armor......... either way you will prob. drown.......

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
polebenda (8/19/2008)Well I see a lot of fish activity out side the pier. I don't know any other places to go. Whats the freighter? I don't have a gps so I think it will be hard for me to find places...
Stay inshore!!!! Go around the intercoastal and fish the grass flats.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
get a kayak - easy to launch off the beach, can take the waves OK, etc... - just stay away from the pier to keep away from the lead rain...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You will be running past a ton of good spots if you run that boat to the Pier, plus, it's crazy! Don't do it man! Places you can fish...

Bayou Davenport- dock light trout

Gulf Breeze Ramp- dlt's (dock light trout) try both sides of the bridge...

Mackey Cove- dlt's and reds. flounders, hybrids

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We went through the pass today it wasn't too rough out there. We couldn't go too fast out there. Caught a bunch of hard tails and ladyfish right outside the pass. It was pretty fun....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
polebenda (8/20/2008)We went through the pass today it wasn't too rough out there. We couldn't go too fast out there. Caught a bunch of hard tails and ladyfish right outside the pass. It was pretty fun....
When you go down say "hey" to the bull sharks for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
you may want to listen to what you are being told that is really no place for a small boat there is way too much inshore to fish for than risk that crazy idea.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts