Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem like this ? I have a 115 Evirude 1998 model, never had any problems at all. Last week took it out and it runs great at low speed but when you try to power up to get on plane it starts running rough and surges. The one thing that I noticed was that the tac quit working. Checked fuel, clean no water, replaced plugs, still does the same think. Could the power pack cause this or would it even crank with a bad power pack ?I also madesure battery had full charge. Can anybody help before I start spending a lot of money ? Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would try a compresion check first, if all is good then lean towards the carbs such asa hi-speed jet could be clogged. A lot of bad gas floating around lately.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You could have a series of problems. may not be fixable at home. Wills Marine will check it out for less than a $100. 832-2383

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 1999 Johnson 90HP. I have talked to a couple of marine techs and they have said over and over water in the gas. They told me to start with draining the bowl on each carb and dumping my water/fuel separator. I can idle fine but once under power I have the same issue. I am going to try their method today and hope that cures the problem. Let me know if you figure out a solution.

Thanks,

Ant

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
http://www.willsmarine.net/

1200 Barrancas Ave
Pensacola, FL 32501
(850) 432-2383

Inside corner of Barrancas and West Garden Streets.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
beast819 (10/15/2007)I am having the same issue with my 1999 Johnson 90HP. I have talked to a couple of marine techs and they have said over and over water in the gas. They told me to start with draining the bowl on each carb and dumping my water/fuel separator. I can idle fine but once under power I have the same issue. I am going to try their method today and hope that cures the problem. Let me know if you figure out a solution.

Thanks,
Ant
When you drain the bowls and separator pour it into a clean glass jar for further inspection, don't just toss it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The separator did have about a 1/2" of water when i dumped it into a container. The I could not get the carbs to drain into a bowl because of the location. After doing so I went back and started boat in water with no problem but when i brought the RPMs up the engine started to sputter again. I think I have found the fuel filter that runs into the motor and will check that this weekend for any build up in that. Any other suggestions?? Could air in the line cause this symptom as well?

ant

·
Praedator
9,978 Posts
beast819 (10/19/2007)The separator did have about a 1/2" of water when i dumped it into a container. The I could not get the carbs to drain into a bowl because of the location.
ant
Did you take the carbs off or try to drain them with them still on the motor?:poke You'll need to take the carbs off and check for water or clogged jets.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like the power pack. Try chocking it when raising the rpm's, if it doesn't smooth out, it's not the fuel. If you have a spark checker, hook it up and check the spark at an idle. Usually every cylinder will fire at an idle. If the spark is breaking down when you raise the rpm's, buy a power pack and put it on. Had the same problem this spring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wills Marine was hit by the tornado but only suffered minor damage. phones and lights were out off and on for 2 days, open regular hours now. 8-5 M-F.

850-432-2383

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well I have just took my boat into S&S marine to get looked at due to time issues. I am waiting to hear back and will keep everyone updated on the status. I'm hoping it is just a power pak, which if it was I could have easily replaced. Arghh..... o well better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just got news that my motor has some issues with the carbs. The major things such as power, fuel, and compression checked out perfect and I was told the carbs needed to be re-jetted or cleaned. Does this happen from time to time with 2-strokes? Is there ways to keep this from happening in the future?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts