Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I should have read this a few hours ago.....

So a PR is all us little guys?

If so I would have no problem reporting in if it meant that I was able to catch more than 2 red snapper each day. If I were to be able to have a seasonal quota I would be all about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SOS and Accounatbility is a complete joke. It can't happen and they know it because VMS and electronic logbooks is NOT verifiable unless there is a huge increase in enforcement. Secondly there are other plans out there, pull your head out and look for them. SOS reminds me of a surgeon curing you of cancer. You have it in both legs, so they (your surgeon) decides to separate and remove one leg. Guess What? Problem not solved and cancer still there. Don't let these charter captains fool anyone. They know exactly what they are doing. It's even on their SOS website. They openly admit to teaming up with Environmental Defense. Their end game plan is recreational catch shares. All you have to do is read through the responsibilities of the person EDF wants to hire.

Directly from SOS website...

http://saveoursector.com/WhatWeDo/DataPilotProject.aspx

"In order to demonstrate the ability of electronic logbooks to capture and transmit detailed harvest and landing data in near or real-time, SOS has partnered with Environmental Defense Fund to develop an electronic logbook system and a pilot project which will test to the system."

SOS is a stepping stone to recreational catch shares and IFQ's. This will cost us recreational fishermen dearly and it will put the small or part time CFH captians on welfare. Don't get me wrong, it will be some time before that happens. Slow is better because it is harder to see it coming. In the mean time, the CFH sector will be allowed to estimate the weight of their fish under SOS. This will allow them catch much more fish because for some unknown reason (Yea right) they haven't yet reached their quota. Being off by 20% in several fish i doesn't seem like much, but when they all do it, we are talking about thousands if not millions of pounds of fish (if you use their estimates of what they catch). It is all smoke and mirrors. If it wasn't they would be behind the plan posted above or implementation of catch cards. Talk about rhetoric. They are the masters. Please argue me on VMS and electronic logbooks. Read long enoug on those from SOS and you will see that it is a constantly changing plan. Constantly changing to suit the best selling tactics. It may change there, but the "Master Plan" will never change. All you have to do is look and see who they are in bed with...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am not familiar with SOS but I will read up on it.

I totally agree that estimating weight could lead to some dangerously damaged data. I dont think you could estimate the weight from every fish. Its easliy done on the commercial side and the weight of the total catch is done now. I guess the other part of this is how to get the weight of the fish from the charter boat guys and the rec guys. I dont know why the charter boat guys are lumped in to the rec numbers as its for a business and the rec/weekender guys are for pleasure.

Some sort of count needs to be done so we can get some real data. I still think its feasable to do it by fish. Over a 30 day season I get to catch 60 red snapper. But I have to call in after every trip and log in my number of fish.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
weatherman

yes you and i are pr. private recs and yes the plan is simple. no need for a separate charter sector. as a matter of fact- if you walk on back a charter you are still a recreational fisherman under the same rules.

Again there is no need for a separate charter for hire sector - we are all under recreational rules now and can have better accountability- if counting fish werethereal true end game in all of these "politics" that is.

mark

·
Registered
128 Posts
If y'all remember, when the fwc met in destin the guys from pcola were discussing the stamp idea which appears to be acceptable to the fwc and would be a start at getting a real handle on the number of anglers wanting to harvest red snapper. Creating a state stamp would provide for dedicated funding to research, artificial reefs, and more. I suspect if FL led the way other states would follow and then the feds could require but would not beinvolved with fees or how the money was used. There were a couple meetings as I attended one. This should be further explored.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Anybody stillhave an electroniccopy of the FWC snapper stamp plan if so please pm me with it?

Mark W

21 - 26 of 26 Posts