Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Smith's was closed for a while a few years ago. I will have to check it out. Doesn't the current run pretty good thru there ? Sometimes a current can make loading a boat a pain.
But then, whether you launch at Smith's or Jim's really depends on what river you want to fish unless you want to run all around the point in the bay. Either that or be able to pick your way thru the canals connecting them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to put in at this landing with my dad in the 70's and the lady was very nice. I moved back to Pensacola 12 years ago and put in there a few time, but will never again. The first few times I put in, the guy was very rude and I just thought he is having a bad day. After the third time, He is just a prick.

·
153 large fishes
1,882 Posts
I've seen both sides from them...but never too bad where you have to go off...The last couple a 3 times were very pleasant...They give my boys candy everytime I go in...From my point of view, they have to camp out at that fish camp everyday to collect 5 bucks from who they can and sell a few crickets, a few shrimp...I could not exist on the profit made there...The guy probably barely keeps bait, especially in the winter....I know I'm a grumpy, moody S.O.B. on a good day, add money struggles and I'm no good to be around...

So I'm appreciative that we have a bait shop up North...I can guarantee that no one would invest money to make a better bait shop there...basic supply and demand

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Anybody remember the hand painted sign in the late 60's and early 70s that said "don't block ramp pleace". I was a yougun and maybe in the 5th grade and I pointed out that "please" was misspelled and my dad was kind of a jokester and he looked at me and asked "you sure about that?"

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
I painted their first store bought sign around 84. Replaced it with a vinyl one after Ivan. Bout time for a new one I imagine. I have had a few misspellings in 35 years, but never "pleace"

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I painted their first store bought sign around 84. Replaced it with a vinyl one after Ivan. Bout time for a new one I imagine
I think James "Jim" Fuqua passed around '75 and Bessie ran it till around '95 and passed away shortly thereafter.

·
D.O.R.
38 Posts
I was just wondering about some attitude associated with Jim's fish camp. anyone had problems there?

I understand it's private owned...I dropped in to check out the landing was setting at idle for a couple minutes when the owner came out and ran me off. Just looking at new water to fish any suggestions on friendlier establishment to launch in the close area.
I'm from Baldwin Co.
Rick the Biggest prick ever. That fucker will never get another dime from me. I use to buy all my bait shrimp from him when going fishing. He crossed me wrong during Gator season 2 years ago. He can eat shit & get ate by a gator as far as im concerned. Im glad to know im not the only one who dislike Rick the prick at Jims

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
23 yrs ago......I launched my 162 Scout there.....After retreiving my boat....and having to get the boat partly on the trailer...Then pull up and pull the boat up the rest of the way...Because the ramp is not designed right.....To short...To steep. I went inside and told them.......You should be ashamed for charging to use that POS ramp. Thats the first and last time being there.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I keep my boat there at Jim's, and have for 2 years now. Mine is the little skiff in the second stall from the ramps under covered area. Rick has never been ugly to me, but he is quick to run off looki-loos. Long story short, if you are a paying customer he's fine, but if you're not, his opinion is you don't have any business on the property. If you don't have a trailer, and you pull up there to hang out and eat your lunch with a nice water view, you can bet you are going to be run off. You know what? I'm just fine with that. I don't have to worry about leaving my boat there with my trolling motor attached and I don't panic if I leave my tackle box on the boat. Contrast this with Swamp House or Smith's which offer zero security. Rick also lives on the property with his wife, and his grandson frequently visits, so that may make him exceptionally vigilant.

Although both admittedly have better ramps, Both Swamp House and Smith's have serious drawbacks for me.

1. Smith's looks like a homeless camp on the water. It's filled with derelict boats and many times, derelict people. I have been approached by vagrants/meth heads at Smith's, but not Swamp House. I won't launch at Smith's anymore without my pistol in my pocket.

2. There is zero ownership presence ever at Smith's or Swamp House should you have a problem or need assistance with anything.

3. Swamp House has sunken and half sunken boats all over the property and has a large area that as completely silted in to dry land now. There is a boat that has been sitting on the bottom for years directly by the boat ramp that prevents that entire side of dock from being used.

4. Other than cutting the grass at Swamp House, there seems to be almost zero effort put into maintenance or upkeep on either property.

5. Smith's docks and boardwalks are rotten in most places and dangerous.

6. Neither Smith's or Swamp House sells bait of any kind. Where is the closest next place to buy live shrimp?

5. Neither offers covered slips.

6. Neither has a public flush toilet available.

Long story short, Rick is not an asshole, he is crotchety, but a lot of you salty fuckers are too. He cares and takes care of his place, and doesn't have patience for people who are there to waste his time. He's great to my son and is always great with his grandson when I have seen him.

These are my opinions, obviously, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
I hafta agree with you, Smith’s is an absolute mess and Swamphouse is not far behind.
Is anybody running those places as businesses?
Swamphouse could be nice with a little work.
Do you keep your boat in the water or up on a lift?
I see where Jim’s built several new stalls.

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Corpsman, don't let Jim's find out you gator hunt or you might come back to your boat on the bottom... my buddy's launched there a few years ago and killed a gator right at daylight, and banned for life from Joms because he apparently didn't like them killing alligators. We launched there one time and asked us if we were gator hunting and when we said yes he told us to go to Smith's....

Fuck that old bastard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
John, He knows I hunt and has given me tips on where he has spotted them. None worked out, but he has never told me he had anything against gator hunting.Not saying he doesn't, he has just never said anything to me. There is a duck boat with a mud motor that stays there. He has 13 acres way down the river he owns that he let me put a feeder on and hunt for free. I am not doubting these negative experiences folks have had, I have just never had them and get along good with him.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I only go every now and then to buy some bait but, the last time I went and purchased some worms I was interrogated for several minutes why I didn't need a launch

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I hafta agree with you, Smith’s is an absolute mess and Swamphouse is not far behind.
Is anybody running those places as businesses?
Swamphouse could be nice with a little work.
Do you keep your boat in the water or up on a lift?
I see where Jim’s built several new stalls.
I keep mine in the water with bottom paint, but the guy next to me just installed a lift. If I want a lift, I can have one put in, but I just can't see springing for it in a rental slip. It would be mine, and I could take it with me when I left, but I don't live directly on the water. I may or may not be there long. I am trying to work with a deal with a neighbor right now that does live on the water, has a covered lift, but does not own a boat.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts