Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about some attitude associated with Jim's fish camp. anyone had problems there?

I understand it's private owned...I dropped in to check out the landing was setting at idle for a couple minutes when the owner came out and ran me off. Just looking at new water to fish any suggestions on friendlier establishment to launch in the close area.
I'm from Baldwin Co.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Jim is the textbook definition of an egotistical prick. There's no better way to say it, so I'm not going to apologize.

The dude lives in a fantasy world in which he believes he owns the holy grail of yacht marinas, when in reality he owns a shitty, overpriced boat launch & a joke of a tackle shop.

I say overpriced because you aren't even allowed to park there without paying. I had a similar experience to what you described there. We were waiting for a buddy with his boat to get there. Car was in idle & we were in a spot far away from the launch (in an empty parking lot by the way) & Jim came out & made a huge scene over us not paying to park in his lot.

Needless to say, we ended up launching at Smith's instead, I really like that place.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Thank you for the post, if I treated potential customers like that my family would starve.
Not a problem man.

Just can't understand the thought process of guys like that. At the lure company I work at, we treat customers with respect, no matter what. If there's an issue or we're in the wrong, we do what we can to make it right. & we most definitely don't belittle potential customers or make them feel stupid for not knowing something.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I would also suggest Smiths. I have never launched at Jim's but you will be hard pressed to find any good reviews of that place on this forum.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
I don't launch there a lot but when I do, he's always been friendly to me. Maybe you guys just hit him on a bad day ?

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
I don't launch there a lot but when I do, he's always been friendly to me. Maybe you guys just hit him on a bad day ?
Sounds to me like he has a lot of bad days.

Either way, having a "bad day" is still a piss poor excuse to belittle potential customers & treat them like shit.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I've had different experience with him. I take my 5 yo grandson there and he lets him feed the pet bass under the dock.But I like smith better.I have read a lot of negative stuff about him.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
Sounds to me like he has a lot of bad days.

Either way, having a "bad day" is still a piss poor excuse to belittle potential customers & treat them like shit.
Can't comment on your experience since I wasn't there. Can only relay my experience and it's always been good.
Maybe he's had some problems with people hanging around and that's why he snapped at you. I don't know.

·
Registered
14,739 Posts
If I remember my geneology - Jim died & left it to his wife - Her name was Myrtle, or Bernice or some cool old lady name like that - She was the fisherman! I remember that she was catching coolers full of big shellcrackers one spring but wouldn't even take Jim because he couldn't keep the location secret! me and a buddy had fished into the afternoon and didn't even have enough for supper when she came flying by us in one of the old piece of crap boats that they rented - we knew because we were in one too! difference was we had a 20HP old brown Mercury and she was running a Chrysler with no visible numbers - When she went by us we throwed our poles down and took off behind her. About a mile above the X's all traces of her wake & motor trail disappeared - she had smoked us. She pulled back in as we were putting our outboard back in the trunk - Ice chest full of titty shellcrackers - she just grinned and I remember Jim came out & started cleaning them! Pretty sure the guy that runs it now is their son or maybe even grandson, I haven't launched there in 20 years

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yep guys a dick, we launch there during hunting season because it's a lot closer to some of our spots and with a small motor the time saved is kinda worth the hassle but fishing season and any general boating we always put in at smiths it's much nicer ramps and the law usually hangs around to keep the trash away.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts