Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Jigmaster 500L earlier in the summer with the HT100 drags. Been fishing with my friend who has a black-sided 4/0 that's about 2 years old. We both landed several 5 to 6ft Blacktips and Spinners over the past couple of months off the beach at Pickens and swapped back and forth on the reels every now and then to feel them out. One thing I noticed is how much easier it was to crank in his 4/0. And not only when a shark was on. It was noticeably easier just to crank the bait and sinker in if we got skunked. Huge difference. I'm assuming it's because he's got a 2:0 to 1 ratio while I've got a 4:0 to 1 ratio. Anyone know of any way to change the gearing in a jigmaster to 2:0 to 1, or should I just sell it and buy a black-sided 4/0 (113L2) instead? I really like the jigmaster. It's easy to take apart and clean and all, but the gear ratio for shark fishing or even bottom fishing (caught a few big rays as well) isn't the best.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
You may want to look on Allan Tanni's website. If those guys don't know then nobody will know. The two local guys that would know are member Oceanmastr(Keith) or PompanoJoe. They are the best reel repair guys around here. There are a bunch of threads about them on here.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
I will check on that for you but i dont think so. There is a big difference in the size of the main gear.

Keith

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
You could use a Penn 209 or 309. They have a lower gear ratio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts