Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have an offshore boat up here I want to give the jigging thing a shot. My wife offered to buy me 2 combos for my 30th birthday. I know absolutly nothing about what rods are good and what kind of reels are needed so please point me in the right direction. How much should she expect to spend for a good pair? Another thing she is going to buy her manarejigs so what colors and types/manufactures are best? I know nothing so any help would be great.

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey bullshark,

it all depends on what you're going for and how much you're willing to spend. if you like spinning tackle then check out the shimano jigging rods and reels. shimano makes great rods and are lifetime warrantied. jigs that people normally use are vertical jigs and butterfly. line you should be using is braided. i just bought a setup from a member here that was pratically brand new for 180 when it cost around 350 new. i got a shimano trevela rod with a stradic 6000. i got jigs from a guy on evbay call mrgreeno. look in the offshore Q&A and post what you are posting here

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I use a SpherosFB 18K spinning and an Accurate 665N for my conventional. A heavy rod like a 350g or 400g is nice because of it's power. Check outHot Spotsb&t. I know theycarry OTI and Trevala. They also carry OTI jigs, which are really nice. A short rod like a 5'5', 5', or even a 4'10will make itmore comfortable.

A good setup, I think, will run anywhere from $300-500.It just comes down to what you want to spend. Jigging setups can get pretty pricey.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved the post. That isexpensive! She can pony up i'm going to be going through my 1/3 life crisis.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like spinning reels for jigging, so my recommendation would be the Shimano Spheros reel (8000 or higher) paired with the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging rod. Should run you about $200 or $220. Check Ebay for the reels. If you wanted to go even lower, I've jigged with Penn Sargus and they do great too, but don't have the drag or stopping power of the Shimano

As far as line, I'd recommend 65lb braid. I use PowerPro, but I know a lot of people on here prefer Suffix and others. I haven't had an issue with my PP, and braid ain't cheap, so until I have a reason to change it out, it's what's on my reels right now.

You'll need fluro leader. I usually go with 65 or 80lb test. 10' or more in length. Some people use swivels to attach the braid and leader. I use the "slim beauty" knot. (Search on YouTube). It's not too hard to learn and the knot goes through the guides pretty good.

Mrgreeno's jigs are great starter jigs, no doubt. I also like jigs from this eBay vendor (http://myworld.ebay.com/fishincomfort). Use the "Best offer" option and offer around $6/each including shipping. By all means, save money and don't buy the big namebrand jigs. You'll be ready to cry with a king swipes a $25 or $30 jig. And I've yet to see one out fish any of the cheaper jigs I use.

If you have a Bass Pro close by, their jigs are pretty good too and they are on sale during their Spring Fishing Classic. (I think they are $7.50 for the 150 gram size).

I think the 150gram (5oz) size is the best all around size. Color doesn't matter all that much to be honest. Blues and greens for kings and AJs. I seem to catch more snapper and grouper with the pinks and oranges.

I actually just ordered some jigs from this site. It came highly recommended, but I haven't used them personally.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/LURE-JIG/Jigging+Lures

Good luck. Jigging is highly Addictive!!!!!

PM or email me ([email protected]) if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help. I had a lot of help getting started myself.

·
Registered
394 Posts
they have a great combo on melton tackle's website. its the daiwa saltiga spinning rod/reel combo. over 50" of retrieval per turn and 35 pounds of drag. its around $350with the larger reel and xxxheavy rod. OTI jagerare my favorite jigs. 5 and 7 oz in pink or blue.theycome out of the pack with 2 great assist hooks ready to fish for 8 bucks. But, MRgreeno on ebay is where its at for bulk ordering for sure! Good Luck

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I am not an expericed jigger at all, so I will only speak to what I have found with my Torium 30 and Trevala 6ft 80-200lb rod.

When bowed up with a good sized AJ the rod bends so much that the line will actually touch the top of the foam handle.

This makes you have to grip lower. Not a show stopper, but I would like to try the spinningTrevala rod combo.

After noticing this, I went with a 5'8' Trevala and a Diawa Sealine High speed reel. I put 340yds of 65lb Power Pro on it. I have not had a chance to get bowed up yet with it.

Also I took a Williamson glow Hi speed butterfly jig 6' or 9" and put it on the 5'8" Trevala and the jigging action was terrible. I believe it had something to do with the weight of the jig,because when I put the same jig on the 6' trevala, it worked fantastic. Caught our limit of AJ's.

Also, I believe you need to have a high speed reel for jigging, like 5 to 1 or better but I'm sure someone is much more qualified to speak on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts