Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good jigging reel for a Shimano Trevala MH spinning rod. Do you guys have any recommendations that I can go with without shelling out $500 bucks? I was looking at 8000 series Shimano Saragosa. Any recommendations????????? Thanks Alot.-Ryan

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
If you get the Saragoosa just make sure that it is the new one. I blew up the internal gears twice in mine and they redesigned the gears to hold up now. It is a great reel as long as you don't plan on jigging in deep water. Won't hold enough line.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have an Okuma SA-65S i bought to jig fish. Very smooth, good drag and holds a lot of line and i paid less than $100 brand new.

KP

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a diawa saltist 4500 on a 6'6" Trevala mhspooled with 50 lb. braid andI love it. I think for the money the saltist is a great reel and they seem to be bulletproof.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
AaronBarnes (2/18/2010)i love my AVET SX 2 speed.... 16 ounces and i have it on the same rod... MADE IN THE USA and not really that expensive.
I think he's asking about spinning reels.

I second the saltist 4500H along with a Spheros or Saragosa 8000. Spool it with 30-50lb braid and you'll have plenty of line for what you will probably do with it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
KPTN (2/17/2010)I have an Okuma SA-65S i bought to jig fish. Very smooth, good drag and holds a lot of line and i paid less than $100 brand new.

KP
I fish with the same reel for jigging loaded with 80lb PPro, have caught AJs, yellow and blackfins and snapper. Low cost and durable its been my go to reel for the several years.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was all fired up to get the Daiwa Saltist until I checked out the Penn Conquer. It has been getting good reviews on the FS Forum. You need to add them to the list of reels you are looking at.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
tailfisher (2/18/2010)accurate ts12 all the way.
....that is as long as you don't have a tight budget. In which case I say a Shimano Stella or Daiwa Saltiga

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I agree with the Spheros, Saragosa, Stradic, and Salina. I've fished all of them and was very impressed. Can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you are serious about jigging you need to get a 7' to 8' fast action rod. I have two of those Trevalas, they have as much back bone as a wet noodle. I use mine for trout fishing. The Okuma EB 80 is a good cheap reel that I have not been able to tear up. The Okuma Cedros, made for jigging stripped out the gears the 1st time I used it. I have picked up several tunnus on ebay for less than $150.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It has been mentioned, but I think the spheros would be a great light jigging reel for this rod. The rod itself can't handle extreme drags so there is no reason to put a powerhouse on it. 50lb braid should serve you well on this setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Saragosa 1800 loaded with 80# Jerry Brown hollow braid spectra, and so does my son. We have caught a lot of large amberjack,Snapper,Grouper,and even Cobia on them with no problems. If you go with lighter line while jiggingyou will get broken off a lot.

Bill1000

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
bill1000 (2/19/2010)I have a Saragosa 1800 loaded with 80# Jerry Brown hollow braid spectra, and so does my son. We have caught a lot of large amberjack,Snapper,Grouper,and even Cobia on them with no problems. If you go with lighter line while jiggingyou will get broken off a lot.

Bill1000
I think it has more to do with what type of structure you are fishing as well as how big the fish in the targeted area are. In general I would go as heavy as feasible. On an 8000 size Shimano reel which is what would appropriately fit the rod he has, 50lb is as heavy as I would go and should be fine on any sized jacks.

Remember, if the AJ gets you into rig legs or deep inside a wreck it doesn't matter how heavy the braid is, Its gonna break

·
Registered
59 Posts
How would the Daiwa Exceler go with that rod?

Also, how much of a mono backing and what lb. test would you put on there first?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts