Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Midwest but thankfully get to head down to the GOM a few times a year to give it a go. I’ve never tried jig fishing and was curious what you all suggest lure wise for red snapper, grouper and AJ. I’ll be down mid June. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I’m no expert but I was tearing up the amberjack yesterday On a diamond jig. Let it flutter to bottom and aggressively jig it up in the water column And hang on. also picked up some triggers on the diamond. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks for the info! Did you have better luck with a specific size jig or was it all fair game?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Awesome thanks for the info! Did you have better luck with a specific size jig or was it all fair game?
It was about 130’ of water. I believe the diamond jig was about 8 ounces or so. Not lots of current yesterday so it went right to the bottom

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Vertical jigs are are deadly and even though it's more work than bait fishing, it's a heck of a lot of fun. I've caught so many different species on them it's crazy. When there's not much current, I like a a 3-4 oz jig in depths less than 150'.

·
Registered
338 Posts
the size of jig depends usually on depth and current. Also the type can matter. Sometimes they want a fast jig like a knife jig, sometimes a flat fall will work and sometimes a diamond jig. I've also had good luck with Halco swim baits jigged off the bottom. Red snapper will eat anything. AJ's are out of season now, however they like a fast moving bait or BIG live bait. Groupers will take a jig too but be prepared to lock your drag down as you'll have to get them off the bottom so they don't get back into structure and break you off. As mentioned, big live baits work best but they're fun to catch on a jig. Watch someone else jig sometime or you'll likely be doing it wrong. It SHOULD be wearing you out almost as much as catching that AJ.

·
Registered
9,877 Posts
workout your upper body for about a year before you go. then work out some more.... then you can do it for more than 15 minutes on the boat.... watched a guy jigging like a nobody's business at the rigs one night, for hours. I was in complete AWE.... I'm still in AWE of that guy....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts