Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
grouper2.jpg

grouper3.jpg

Returned to my "secret" spot today with a little heavier tackle to avoid leaving any "dead" line in the water. a g-loomis 1089 and vs250 with 30ib braid and 60ib flouro wind-on leader. still lost a bunch to the rocks but managed to land a bakers dozen with the heavier tackle. I apologize for the orientation of the fish in the picture, I held him like that for all of 5 seconds for the picture. no fish were injured in the making of this report.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on man! Nice gags! What size range are you catching over there?
anywhere from 6ibs to some approaching 30 that I cant get out of the rocks. I never thought id have to use a 2-speed Trinidad 30 for inshore but its looking that way. these guys are all piss and vinegar.

·
MILF - Man I Love Fishing
829 Posts
anywhere from 6ibs to some approaching 30 that I cant get out of the rocks. I never thought id have to use a 2-speed Trinidad 30 for inshore but its looking that way. these guys are all piss and vinegar.
Man, at my grouper hole here in Pensacola, there are a few that rape my 2 speed Talica 20 and bend Eagle Claw 5/0 hooks. Piss and vinegar for sure. Glad they don't taste like it though!

Great catch man!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'll attest to the piss and vinegar part of shallow water grouper. We tangle with some on hard bottom just off the beach on occasion and they're different creatures when hooked in less than 65'. The same grouper that you head stomp in 250' will kick your ass in 50'!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll attest to the piss and vinegar part of shallow water grouper. We tangle with some on hard bottom just off the beach on occasion and they're different creatures when hooked in less than 65'. The same grouper that you head stomp in 250' will kick your ass in 50'!
..how about 13' surrounded by structure?

·
Registered
540 Posts
trust me! its no secret, but I just hope anyone who comes out does their homework and brings something they actually have a chance on.

but Thanks!, that means a lot coming from someone known as "grouper king" haha
Agreed, no big secret. But you need to be in shape to get to the spot. We should petition the state or county to provide better access. Or maybe not.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,548 Posts
I was just kidding around. I live in Baldwin county , and I would have to travel past a lot of good fishing spots to get to yours. Lol. But once again nice gags ! It's awesome when you have a shore spot that you can consistently catch grouper , or even every once and awhile. And yeah light tackle and grouper fishing shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Lol. I don't give my grouper a sporting chance !

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I hear ya ! That's why I don't even fish for them when the season is closed. It just hurts my feelings way too much when I have to turn loose a perfectly good grouper ! Lol.
Yeah!...I'm weak and know it,I might decide to go "non compliant". Thats why I don't keep a rifle in the truck either.:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just kidding around. I live in Baldwin county , and I would have to travel past a lot of good fishing spots to get to yours. Lol. But once again nice gags ! It's awesome when you have a shore spot that you can consistently catch grouper , or even every once and awhile. And yeah light tackle and grouper fishing shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Lol. I don't give my grouper a sporting chance !
Ill be at the house in Gshores this weekend....Im going to go out on a limb and assume theyre on the Alabama pt jetty as well?....just nod yes or no

1 - 20 of 26 Posts