Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any luck around the jetties in the pass if so with what, any help is appreciated thanks Garett

·
Registered
282 Posts
My brother in law, his son and I spent a couple of hours there a couple of weeks ago. Don't recall the tide now.

We caught 3 flounder on small live cigar minnows. Used a small egg weight, fluorocarbon leader, & small hook. Cast then bounced/dragged the rig back slowly. I had trouble hooking up - had several good hits before I caught my one fish.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
How far will a flounder move to hit a bait? I know it will depend on how the conditions are. But when casting for them, do you have to REALLY cover an area or do a few casts and move on...

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Good question. I don't know the answer, butflounder are ambush preadators. They hide on the bottom and wait for food to come to them. I'm not sure how much they chase...

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
NoMoSurf (10/24/2007)How far will a flounder move to hit a bait? I know it will depend on how the conditions are. But when casting for them, do you have to REALLY cover an area or do a few casts and move on...
If your working the bottom slow then hit that area real good. I have caught 7+ flounder around a single dock by fishing every angle around it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
you know I have been trying to answer that question myself....I have caught 10 flounder in exactly the same spot every cast as soon as it hits the bottom. I am fairly certain that flounder will swim distances though; many times they will eat the bait and run up to 10' with it before they stop to eat the rest....I think they see it from a distance, go get it, and go back to where they were originally. :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have had several chase my grub all the way back to the boat and turn off just as you see them. They will only do that if they are really fired up though. Other days you have to drag it across their mouth to get them to hit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts