Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At bottom of page is a email link to respond to Jeff Miller on the AJ closure. Please send him a email and let him know what you think.To see the actural letter see: http://www.gulf1.com/Elected/JeffMiller/FrameMiller.htm</DIV></DIV>October 21,2009
The Honorable Gary Locke, Secretary
U.S. Department of Commerce
1401 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20230 </DIV><P class=MsoNormal>Dear Mr. Secretary, <P class=MsoNormal>On October 19, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Marine Fisheries Service suddenly and without advance notice closed the greater amberjack season in the Gulf of Mexico. This sudden closure will have a hard and lasting impact on the Gulf Coast communities and those who depend on this season for their livelihood. <P class=MsoNormal>The unexpected closing of the season is having an overwhelmingly negative impact in my district. Currently, the City of Destin is hosting the Destin Fishing Rodeo, attracting over 30,000 participating anglers. Sports fishermen from across the country take part in this event and the economic boost to Destin is considerable. With 11 days left in the rodeo, Destin stands to lose significant tourism dollars, a main economic driver. This loss is in addition to the long term impact of those not wanting to come to this event in the future, fearing they will be turned away with no notice. The effect on area charter boat captains and fishermen is devastating, and they have had no time to prepare for this abrupt turn of events. Considering the lack of notice and the widespread impact, I ask that the season be extended to allow the rodeo to be completed and for the area to formulate a recovery plan for those charter boat captains and fishermen impacted by this closure. <P class=MsoNormal>Each year, charter boat captains and fishermen tell me that that the snapper and amberjack populations are flourishing in the Gulf. However, it seems that the NMFS keeps cutting back on the Annual Catch Limits (ACLs). Because the ACL seems to be met earlier and earlier each year, it appears that the population is, in fact, growing. It is imperative to the fishing and tourism industries that the most accurate information is used when setting these limits, and it would seem that these low ACLs may be based on outdated information. I have been notified that the next stock assessment will. not be conducted until 2010. Because of the far reaching economic and personal impact of these decisions, I would encourage the NMFS to consider temporarily extending the limits until the new data comes in next year. I would also encourage the NMFS to seriously consider an improved advance notification system whereby anglers learn of a season's closure much more than five days in advance. <P class=MsoNormal>For far too long, those in the fishing industry have taken the brunt of bureaucratic decisions. Little consideration seems to be given to the impact on citizens trying to earn a living. For the men and women who depend on the Gulf of Mexico to provide for their families, these consequences are extreme. As the proposed season is to end Saturday at 12:01 a.m, CST, I ask that you look into this matter immediately and inform my office as to what recourse is available. <P class=MsoNormal>With warm personal regards, I am
Sincerely,
Jeff Miller
Member of Congress<P class=MsoNormal>I'm Jeff Miller and that's what I think, what do you think?
Please feel free to email me at: http://www.gulf1.net/Elected/JeffMiller/Jeffmail.asp<P class=MsoNormal>Here is another link to his email http://jeffmiller.house.gov/Contact/ContactForm.htm</DIV>

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
jeff miller rocks!!!!

he hit the nail on the head

i was going to send a letter of appreciation but the links did not work

maybe folks are starting to come around to whats going on

·
Praedator
9,923 Posts
The LaJess II (10/22/2009)I don't know why the link is not working on here. But try coping and pasting and see if that works.
Your links are pointing to something on your computer.You more than likely copied and pasted from your email. Thatsometimes screws things up. So we can not get to your computer and the links do not work. I got the info out of the links though.

http://www.gulf1.com/Elected/JeffMiller/FrameMiller.htm

http://www.gulf1.net/Elected/JeffMiller/Jeffmail.asp

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I am very happy that the politicians are finally taking note. However, where have they been for the last few years????

The only reason they are doing something is because so many of their constituents are so pissed off, and contacting them on an hourly basis wanting action.

Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic they are FINALLY doing something. However, we all need to keep the pressure on them. Otherwise, they will just slink back into the darkness without actually doing anything about it.

What we REALLY need is someone to sponsor a bill in congress to deal with this BS.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I received the same email from Rep. Miller. This was my response back to him:

Mr Miller,

I wholeheartedly support the letter that you sent to Mr. Locke.

I encourage you and other members of <U>our</U> Congress to bring pressure on the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) to refrain from making these far reaching decisions based upon outdated and/or questionable data. For example, as a recreational fisherman, I have personally witnessed the abundance of red snapper in the coastal areas of Florida and Alabama. Many area anglers will support my contention that the red snapper fishery is in very good health and does not warrant the overzealous protection that NMFS believes is necessary.

I personally invite you and your fellow coastal Alabama congressman to take a catch and release red snapper fishing trip to witness first hand the state of the red snapper fishery. Perhaps then you will understand the frustration and exasperation anglers and the charter fleet feel following the arbitrary nature of the NMFS decisions.

I encourage everyone on this form to get off some form letter to our representatives telling them (in a polite, factual manner) what we think of the NMFS actiona. Perhaps with some congressional pressure we can get the NMFS to act in a responsible way.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
thanks lajess for the heads up!

thanks jon for the links!

here is what i sent

dear sir
i read your letter to the secretary of commerce about the recent amberjack closing and you hit a home run with thousands of constituents with that. you sir have my vote. thank you. please keep up the good fight. there are also many other impacts that were not mentioned. the millions or possibly billions spent on boats and other related equipment. noaa knows not what they do.
thank you again sir for the great representation.

david swinney

everybody should take just a minute to do the same

lets show em the power of the pff

this is actually getting something done

jeff miller has the power to make things happen

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Here is my letter:

The recent closure of greater amberjack for recreational fishermen is unacceptable. It adds insult to injury after the extremely short red snapper season.

I don't need to tell you that people are tired of being abused by NMFS, NOAA, and their elected officials. I applaud you for trying to do something, and at the same time caution you that it still is not enough. If any of my elected officials intend to keep their jobs next election, there needs to be action on this issue. Immediate action.

Your constituents are angry, and rightfully so. Keep this in mind as you consider your next step in fighting this trajesty.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Slow down guys. Before we make Congressman J. Miller our hero let's make sure he is out to represent all anglers not just the charter or commercial side. I don't think he had a single comment for the recreational angler in his letter. I sent him an e-mail and asked about that and invited him back to the forum to engage us as a group in discussion as to what could be done to give recreational anglers a fair say and fair share of our marine resources,

Kim

·
Registered
541 Posts
Kim, I was just thinking the same thing. Although I applaud his stand on this issue Jeff Millers letter only addressed the economic impact on the charter sector and its employes. Although I am sympathetic with them in their own fight, because I am a fisherman, Nothing was said by mr. Miller about taking away the fishing from the rest of us private rec fisherman who are also impacted by this decision.I paid good money this year to purchase an offshore boat, rig it to my liking including a new cobia station, outfitted it withnew fishing gear for 5 anglers, stocked the large tackle station several times over, updated the electronics, performed some needed maintenance repairs, spent tons of moneyon fuel and ice, and cold drinks, ramp fees, and food,etc, etc, etc, all of which directly benefitted the local economy. Spent alot of time and money searching for that honey hole that would win theLargest AJ in the 25' and under private division in the Destin Rodeo...which also cost a few dollars to enter. I only hope Mr. Miller can see that we privateers are affected by this too. Keep in mind that as the "numbers" come in, wherever they come from, this will not be the last jerk leg closure. You can bet your last dollar that grouper season will be closed very soon or shortened again, trigger and mingo will be closed due to overfishing because of added pressure on those stocks as well. It is coming, and what makes me sick is that that the rec sector is supposedly the only sector "exceeding" its quota.I for one would like to see a total investigation into the actions of this governing body. Me thinks this whole thing stinks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
whatever, I like cow doctors response, tell them how it really is. I mean can you not swear in a letter to these guys? Short and sweat or long and sweat is out of the question for these retards. I just want to kick a few people in the FACE right now, I did not but my boat to pleasure ride, I hate that.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I sent my appreciation to Mr Miller with the reminder that the fight is not over and I expect him to follow this to the end....

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Dear Sir,

I applaud your recent letter to Gary Locke concerning closure of Amberjack fishing in the Gulf. I am concerned however that your letter makes no mention of recreational interests.

The fishing industry needs someone to take charge in Washington and stand up for the little guy, the recreational fisherman, whose rights to this public resource are slowly but surely eroding away.

The recent, unexpected and abrupt closure of Amberjack fishing is simply outrageous. It's bad enough that the red snapper season is unacceptably short and in the hottest part of the year. Come visit www.pensacolafishingforum.com and see the hundreds of reports of boat, after boat, after boat, catching so many large red snapper that it is very difficult to catch anything else. The "endangered red snapper" is a running joke. Now it's the AJ's? And what about the Grouper? They were in the news recently, new regulations are in place for them too ( see http://www.pnj.com/article/20091005/NEWS01/910050308/Grouper-fishing-rules-set-to-get-tighter ). So when the government gets through regulating every species of fish that we anglers like to catch and eat, what is left?

Come visit the Pensacola fishing forum and see what 10,000 members think of the government saying to us "If you want to eat red snapper or AJ, you cannot catch them, you must buy them from a commercial fisherman". Does it make sense that they are "overfished" but the commercial sector can keep catching them? Does this resource belong to the public? Or does it belong to commercial interests with organized financial backing and millions of dollars to pad influential pockets?

The economic benefit of recreational fishing measures in the billions, and though the recreational sector may not have the organization and monetary backing that the commercial sector does, I assure you the recreational sector has many more voters, and we are angry beyond belief. We as a whole have been disorganized and ineffective at voicing our concerns in the past. I assure you this latest assault on recreational fisherman is causing a groundswell movement, and we will be heard loud and clear, and those who are responsible will fall.

This is clearly a case of too much government, making too many rules, based on flawed, outdated, or non existing data. I imagine if you follow the buck, you will see the real reason behind these regulations.

We salute you for making a stand, but the fight cannot stop here, and I hope you will do everything in your power to make sure that our rights are protected.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
OMEGA (10/22/2009)<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/nT0OqHr3wHQ&hl=en&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

I love my country just fine, which is why I wont roll over and play dead while crooked polititicians turn it into the USSA

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
That's a nice letter. It is, however, a bit late. That is a typical politician's ploy to make you, the voter, think that "hey,Jeff Miller really has it on the ball and he really doescare." If he really cared, he would be pro-active and be involved before stupid rules are imposed, or he would introduce legislation to require the agencies to administer the programs based upon extensive, double-blind, scientific data as opposed to bureaucratic interpelations and lobbyist's desires. You could never convince me that the legislatures did not know this was coming. A high level bureaucrat is not going to allow this type of far-reaching ruling to be implemented without passing it by the law makers, and getting their approval, before they are placed into action.

If you will look at Mr. Miller's record, you will determine that this is typical for him, tostomp his feet, for show, after the damage is done. As stated in other posts, you cannot turn rulings aroundonce implemented, except by law suit.The proof of the pudding would be to see if Mr. Miller would be willing to join a class action law suit against the NOAA to get the ruling turned around. My guess is not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmm, I've read most all of the above. It is reactionary, it does not speak loud enough for recreational fishermen (people). But , it is something. I feel like I'm still swollen from the slap, so I'll stop here.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts