Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our kayak buddy Jason from Georgia who we met last fall has been down here the last few days King fishing and caught a sailfish this evening! I was out there flounder fishing and was able to take some pics for him.... WTG Jason!!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Holy Cow! Looks like the panhandle Sailfish invasion is starting even earlier this year! There is something about yak fishing in the late evenings that tends to lead to awesome catches. I was out in the Atlantic this morning in about 230ft of water having a conversation with a monkey boat and they hooked/landed not one but TWO sails right on front of me....quite a show. Nothing to report on as of yet but trying again in the morning. Great pics Linda....I bet he sure was glad you were there to capture the moment!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,453 Posts
GREAT catch!!!

Actually, it seems MOST sails in this area are caught from a yak ifclose to shore. Seems like very few guys in boats with motors catch them in close. I'd even say that pier fisherladies catch moreinside (ie notnorth of the Edge) than guys in motor boats.

At least that's truebased on reports on this board.

I'd say kayakers catch more sails 10:1 over motor boaters, Pier fisherladies 5:1...

Inside the Edge anyhow...

The Pier jabs are in fun by the way...

Jim

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Havin' been an "east coaster" for a long dern time, I never woulda thunk a sail was caught here in sight of land...

What is the MAX possible depth where he was fishing? 60 or so feet?

Brent

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,453 Posts
A couple will be hooked on the pier every year. At least according to the reports here.

Jim

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well cool!!! on the east side, North of "sailfish alley" 20 miles was the norm but I think, if memory serves me right, 160 feet was one of the depth minimums needed to "expect" a possible SF bite...

Can't imagine my first billfish could be from a 'yak, within sight of land, in such shallow waters!

Maybe I won't have to pull a 2-3 day offshore trip peddlin out and sleepin in the yak seat to hook a bill!

Brent

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Congrat's to Jason for the sailfish catch and to Linda for taking the awesome pic's....just that more of a reason for me to get a yak in the near future....well after I retire....unless I can find a good deal on a used Hobie, with all the extras:D

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the money just can't find a used kayak now.:reallycrying

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts