Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We catch some small jacks every year and I'm not sure they're amberjacks. Anybody got pictures of lesser and greater amberjacks and banded rudderfish. Are those the only "look alikes" that are in our area?

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Try this site for pics.

www.acfishing.com/fishid/list.html

Usually banded and lesser are caught in a little deeper water, probably 180 or better( my .02). Besides the sicle shaped dorsal fin on the lesser the only other true way to tell the diffis to look at the gill rakes and # of doral spines.If you click on Search PFF at the top you'll probably get more info than you want! Good Luck.

Skip

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Jim I wish you would leave those babies alone and go after some bigger ajs. No really that is an awesome reef donkey. I am however glad someone else was on the other end.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sort of. You see that little false albacore, it ate a 200g potroast sardine, then the jack ate the FA. The jig hooked the AJ right in the corner of the mouth (you can see the red assist hook in the pic) and the FA slid up the line like a minnow.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The OLE Azz Whoopin.

I caught this one fishing the RFRA Gulf Coast Grand Slam. It weighed 78 lbs. it is my personal biggest Jack. The only down side of catching the 78 lber. is not breaking the 80 lb. mark. See I had already broke the 70 lb. mark with a 72 lber. I guess its a guy thing. I was still happy to havegotten to pump & wind on it. The biggest thats ever hit the deck of the Sea Monkey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts