Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching videos of people catching Jack Crevalle in the Big Lagoon and it looks like a blast. When is the season for these fish and what do they like to eat? Can you troll for them?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
My experience w/JCs has been with large noisy top water lures, e.g., large Storm Chug Bug, fishing edges of shallows/flats. They do fight to the very end. Like any other wide bodied fish, those long, strong, sideways runs can really make you work...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ate a 5lb jack cravelle down in Naples one time, well, b/c that is all we caught that day. Fillet it and grilled with a little butter and seasoning. It was fantastic. I was shocked how tender, white and flakey it was.

Reactions: Squidly63

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Ate a 5lb jack cravelle down in Naples one time, well, b/c that is all we caught that day. Fillet it and grilled with a little butter and seasoning. It was fantastic. I was shocked how tender, white and flakey it was.
My experience with (most) "trash" fish that I have tried is that they are generally pretty good. The average American just recites what he or she hears, so you can assume that most people that say "you can't eat those, they're disgusting," have never once tried them.

·
eating tasty
3,754 Posts
My experience with (most) "trash" fish that I have tried is that they are generally pretty good. The average American just recites what he or she hears, so you can assume that most people that say "you can't eat those, they're disgusting," have never once tried them.

This is true. Bonita, bled, sushi style off the belly strip was just fine. Ladyfish were not that great. We made fishballs out of them. Edible, but meh. I will not try hardhead cats. I have heard remora is very good. Haven't been that adventurous. Never tried jack crevalle but the meat is very red. A lot of people love amberjack, and I think they are one of the worst. To each their own I suppose!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
might be completely different in Fl than in Tx, but i've caught several accidentally with live shrimp under a popping cork. same technique as the loud rattling lure i guess.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Right about summer/early morning/ly's :) Got this one over by Bob Sikes. Top water rapala bl/silver 3.5" behind bubble rig during some schooling I came up on. It is for sure a hoot :)

Attachments

Reactions: Squidly63
1 - 11 of 11 Posts