Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There used to be lots of Jack Cravelle in Bayou Grande. Where did they go? Where can I find them? Looking for some fighting action.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They been cruising the Navarre pier for a week. Sunrise and >2 hours.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was surprised by a 30 pounder in about 40 feet of water off Fort Morgan. The Bonita were breaking on small bait, and I was throwing a spoon on a fairly light spinning rod to catch them for bait. I had two, threw again at the group, and was quite surprised when the fish just kept running. Unfortunately, he did not get off, so I wasted about 30 minutes on that big dude.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Sounds like fun to me!!!

Not my idea of fun any longer. I wrestled with one for over three hours Saturday. It whipped me big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not my idea of fun any longer. I wrestled with one for over three hours Saturday. It whipped me big time.

3 hours? geeze. I could see them not being fun when you hook them on the wrong rod/reel. Probably a good idea to tie in a section of lighter tippet so you can break em off next time instead of being stuck in a 3 hour fight.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
3 hours? geeze. I could see them not being fun when you hook them on the wrong rod/reel. Probably a good idea to tie in a section of lighter tippet so you can break em off next time instead of being stuck in a 3 hour fight.
I had it on a 15 pound combo and 15 pound braid and fluoro leader. It was a beast.

Reactions: HReid

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,983 Posts
They're fun on a fly-rod. I don't use a fly, I use fresh l-y's on fly-rod, reel, line. Just have a lot of line and be ready to chase it to recover line. Always had good luck in Escambia Bay.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
They're fun on a fly-rod. I don't use a fly, I use fresh l-y's on fly-rod, reel, line. Just have a lot of line and be ready to chase it to recover line. Always had good luck in Escambia Bay.

Enjoy, I don’t want no rematch.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
I have caught them to 55 pounds but this one spanked me big time. Not to mention he drug me all over the bay and into boat traffic 3 different times. He hound dogged on me and I could not get him up. The only reason I didn’t cut him off was I wanted the lure back, but he crushed it so it sinks now instead of top water. I figure he was a tad over 50 inches.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have fought several for 2+ hours on 20# spinning tackle. They are the strongest fish # for # that I have ever caught.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
They're fun on a fly-rod. Just have a lot of line and be ready to chase it to recover line.
Many years ago I had watched a school of really big ones daisy chaining in a particular spot for a couple of days in a row. The fly rod world record for 20 lb tippet was only around 20 pounds at the time and these fish all looked to be considerably bigger than that. Piece of cake. I thought for sure that I could get the motor cranked and follow if needed before I got spooled. Ha! Fly line and backing disappeared in less time than it takes to tell it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts