Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I've got a tandem kayak and want to put my son on some fish.

It looks like the wind and surf will be nasty for a few days (3/19). So that probably rules out kings. I can usually get on a few reds or specs in the Bay, but I hear the sheephead are biting good. I was thinking of hitting the Destin pass. I've never targeted them though. Maybe we can find some fish at the bridge or the Coast Guard station. I also have surf rods with me. We are staying in Miramar Beach. Any advice on best use of our limited time is greatly welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
There is definitely sheepies being caught at the jetty and bridge. Will get pretty sporty through there in a kayak with all the boat traffic. Id just walk out on the jetty honestly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duly noted.

What about mid-bay bridge? I used to launch right there next to Legendary Marine, but it looks like they developed the whole shoreline. Can the general public slip a kayak in the water around there somewhere?

·
Registered
421 Posts
that site by legendary marine is now LouLous. Its fun for the family, but I dont know if launching there is still possible. I think you can immediately west of the mid bay bridge. you can also launch at the west foot of the destin pass bridge to acccess crab island and the coast guard station. Stay out of the pass.
Since you have limited time, buy live shrimp and use a popping cork to find trout and reds. Remove the cork and fish structure for sheeps head. If you want to fish while doing family beach time, get a pompano rig with fish bites (artificial) or sand fleas. They are available at local shops. Put the rod in a rod holder and just hang out on the beach till the rod bends over, its conducive to family time and still counts as fishing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts