Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Panama City Beach last night, and at a red light on Front Beach I read the statement, "It's a Pier Thing You Wouldn't Understand" written across the back glass on a Z71 Pickup.

It made me think. There is a brotherhood among pier fishermen and it is pretty obvious when one visits a good panhandle pier during a good bite or peak of a season. What makes pier fishermen different than any other type of fishermen? Nothing personal, just there is obviously something different that creates a different character amoung pier fishermen than other types of fishermen. Some people that I know personally thatdon't fish a pier often are typically offended by the unity among the "local pier brotherhood", and there isa brotherhood on every pier, butit doesn't bother me at all most I have found to be great fishermen and good people, although from time to time you can find an extemelyinteresting ego.

The only thing that comes to mind that is consistent is pier fishermen fish together all the time, unlike boaters or other land based fishermen who can go somewhere else or with someone else, pier fishermen fish together all the time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
807 Posts
garbo in my opinion...the pier in just a BIG boat that got beached.

you see when you fish off a boat you usually have 3 or 4 other anglers that always fish together on that boat. sometimes a visiting angler comes along.

the pier is no different other than you have more anglers. these anglers fish together all the time and when you put time in together like that you will bond!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
In the end,we are all fishermen.I love all forms and not one over the other.If we did not sail the sea,we would still think the earth is flat.....

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Garbo (2/11/2010)I was in Panama City Beach last night, and at a red light on Front Beach I read the statement, "It's a Pier Thing You Wouldn't Understand" written across the back glass on a Z71 Pickup.

It made me think. There is a brotherhood among pier fishermen and it is pretty obvious when one visits a good panhandle pier during a good bite or peak of a season. What makes pier fishermen different than any other type of fishermen? Nothing personal, just there is obviously something different that creates a different character amoung pier fishermen than other types of fishermen. Some people that I know personally thatdon't fish a pier often are typically offended by the unity among the "local pier brotherhood", and there isa brotherhood on every pier, butit doesn't bother me at all most I have found to be great fishermen and good people, although from time to time you can find an extemelyinteresting ego.

The only thing that comes to mind that is consistent is pier fishermen fish together all the time, unlike boaters or other land based fishermen who can go somewhere else or with someone else, pier fishermen fish together all the time.

Thoughts?

A fear of getting too close to the water?:poke

·
Registered
848 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>I was in Panama City Beach last night, and at a red light on Front Beach I read the statement, "It's a Pier Thing You Wouldn't Understand" written across the back glass on a Z71 Pickup.

Thoughts?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
all it come down to is putting time in and not being afraid to go stand on the rail next to the best fisherman in the panhandle, if you hang out there long enough and you are polite...you will be taken into the family and will learn all the trick and tips, one of the biggest thingsis that you cant be afraid of anything, dont be afraid to stand up on the rail when it is elbow to elbow, dont be afraid to ask questions, dont be afraid to throw, once you get past all that you will learn how things are done, there are some of the nicest people on the pier but it seems that alot oftimes, people demoralize them because they fish on the pier....but in many cases pier fisherman can outfish anyone hands down.

like you im not sure what it is about fishing out there, i guess it is the element of competition between everyone all the time. you have to work for everyfish thatyou catchbecause if you dont put in the time you wont catch fish, however there are some people that will never figure it out but even so, that family that is out there still helps them out!!!

Thats the bottom line

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
captwesrozier (2/11/2010)garbo in my opinion...the pier in just a BIG boat that got beached.

you see when you fish off a boat you usually have 3 or 4 other anglers that always fish together on that boat. sometimes a visiting angler comes along.

the pier is no different other than you have more anglers. these anglers fish together all the time and when you put time in together like that you will bond!!!!!!!!!!

Right on Capt. Wes.....Talk about fun in the spring and summers when you are fishing with all our buds whacking pomps or kings....Nothing like catching fish with people you have got to known and respect for years...Waking up early seeing the guys in the parking lot walking down the pier and putting your game face on....Dont have to ask for a gaff because theres always one waiting on you and the guys routing you on..

·
Registered
250 Posts
thats right dylan...you never have to call for a gaff, if you have a nice one theres always someone who will put down their rod and follow you with a gaff....I dont think Iv ever had to juggle a gaff there. Competition aside, the competition still doest want to see you loose! Iv had problems with people, and sabikis etc...but thats part of the game. Thats what I like best...we might be fishing "against" each other but someones there to help when things get moving past what two hands can handle.

·
Registered
848 Posts
one of the coolest things to see is when the first ling is hooked and caught... after the intial war of trying to get it hooked, everyone comes togethor as a team to help whoever hooked it catch it...it is awesome!!!

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Before I bought my boat I was on the pier a lot. Started with pomps and spanish. Finally decided I was gonna sack up, go to the end and shoot for kings. Went elbow to elbow with the "guys." Made my mistakes, learned some wisdom, and (I think) they said " well shit he ain't goin anywhere, might as well get to know him." It's all about putting in your time, and bringing your "A" game.

·
Registered
209 Posts
one of the biggest mistakes made on the cobia fishing gents is they got there drag on zero tolerance. thats a no no when u hook a fish back off on drag enough that u dont free spool, let the fish go where its trying to go and thats deep water. every cobia i ever landed was mon the southwest corner of the pier, because i knew when i bought it back it was on its side ready for the gaff , try that sometimes see how many more u land instead of losing at the gaff or getting around pilings .

·
Registered
634 Posts
kingling (2/11/2010)
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>I was in Panama City Beach last night, and at a red light on Front Beach I read the statement, "It's a Pier Thing You Wouldn't Understand" written across the back glass on a Z71 Pickup.

Thoughts?
all it come down to is putting time in and not being afraid to go stand on the rail next to the best fisherman in the panhandle, if you hang out there long enough and you are polite...you will be taken into the family and will learn all the trick and tips, one of the biggest thingsis that you cant be afraid of anything, dont be afraid to stand up on the rail when it is elbow to elbow, dont be afraid to ask questions, dont be afraid to throw, once you get past all that you will learn how things are done, there are some of the nicest people on the pier but it seems that alot oftimes, people demoralize them because they fish on the pier....but in many cases pier fisherman can outfish anyone hands down.

like you im not sure what it is about fishing out there, i guess it is the element of competition between everyone all the time. you have to work for everyfish thatyou catchbecause if you dont put in the time you wont catch fish, however there are some people that will never figure it out but even so, that family that is out there still helps them out!!!

Thats the bottom line
Not trying to insult your post, but you really think that the best fishermen in the panhandle are all on the piers?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I think the competition out there has made most of us a lot better anglers than we once were..The thing about the pier is if you love sight fishing you will be drawn to that big wooden thing..

·
Registered
209 Posts
i have had the good fortune to fish both places with success, and 99% of the best fisherman that fish for kings cobia and pompano started on the pier , so i would say pier fisherman are the best. anybody even a blind man can throw an eel over board and get a bite .

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well, I guess it's a different kind of fishing. I used to fish from piers and docks, and did pretty well. What I do now is entirely artificial for inshore species, so I guess it's apples and oranges. Who cares, it's f'n fishing! Drink some beers, catch some fish. :letsdrink

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Buckethead (2/11/2010)
kingling (2/11/2010)

Thoughts?

Thats the bottom line
Not trying to insult your post, but you really think that the best fishermen in the panhandle are all on the piers?
Maybe you should grace us with your presence & show us how its really done. You will conform.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,184 Posts
I thought about having a contest during the redfish regatta about casting distance right there along the beach at Ft. McCrae, but then I figured beer would be involved...

Jim

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
jim t (2/11/2010)I thought about having a contest during the redfish regatta about casting distance right there along the beach at Ft. McCrae, but then I figured beer would be involved...

Jim
Damn Skippy!:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Jim, how about chugging a few beers, spinning around then give everyone a big rod with a jig on it an let em fly....That would be an awesome contest.. Whos boat can we use to judge?

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,184 Posts
Dylan (2/11/2010)Jim, how about chugging a few beers, spinning around then give everyone a big rod with a jig on it an let em fly..Whos boat ..That would be an awesome contest.. Whos boat can we use to judge?
YOU are a funny SOB... I spit beer on my screen!!!

Jim

PS... I suggest the "Elbow Room" Maybe she'll finally be put out of her misery.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Someone would prob get hit on the back cast or something...We can see who can snatch the koozie that is holding Googans Dans LandShark..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts