Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This past weekend went to New Orleans and picked up an XL BGE. Had a little barter job and was paid with a BGE. So now the learning begins. I have to build a table to put it in so I`m in the planning stages. In the mean time I will be selling my heavy duty steel smoker if anybody is interested. here`s a shot of it. It`s been a great smoker, really hate to get rid of it.
$500.00 and she`s yours

Attachments

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Keep the Offset Smoker! You will regret selling it.
Every grill has limitations... You can't cook large quantities of meat or burn logs for smoking in an Egg, like your offset smoker.

I had a BGE until it was knocked over and broken. Guess why they are called an EGG?
Great grills, but WAY overpriced, and too Damn many rules to follow to use properly, special charcoal etc.. Its more of a "status or look at my grill" thing, that I paid stupid money for.
In fact, my Weber kettle got way more use than the Egg because of it's simplicity to use. Dump any kind of charcoal in it and light it any way you see fit. The Weber is still going strong after 10 years with only replacing the charcoal grate and grill grate once or twice. Has the rotisserie ring also for some fine whole chickens.
Brisket, Ribs and Butts feeding any quantity won't happen on an Egg. You just can't beat an offset log burner for capacity or taste, plus it will eat any type of fuel you put in the firebox.

I "smoke" or BBQ with local hardwoods I harvest and season like hickory, pecan and oak. Some dry and some a bit on the green side.
I will be more than happy to put up one of my Butts or Briskets cooked on a log fired offset against a BGE any day, or on my old Weber.

The Big Green Egg is a great grill for someone who needs to impress friends that you can cook on a big ceramic flower pot. It has to be a great grill because it cost so much and requires more maintenance than a Bayliner Boat. . Real mean burn wood to cook on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
If you bought it to impress someone, you didn't need it anyway... There not really any more expensive than a high end gas grill unlike the typical drip and blaze Lowe's or Home Depot line up....

Congrats on the new EGG... Get ready for some Moist, Great steaks and Hairless nuckles.................

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I actually didn`t pay for the egg, well I guess you could say I did in a sort of way. I worked out a bartering job and the guy paid me with his BGE.
Your right SHO, I might keep the offset after reading your post. I`ve seen my buddy smoke on his egg and he can`t seem to get that really nice bark on his meats like I can with my offset. I do like a nice bark, it adds a lot of flavor, especially in the pulled pork. Heres a shot of the XL BGE, no nest or table, I`ll be building my own table.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
That is a fine Egg.
Some members on the forum have built some very nice tables. If you need any ideas, do a search on here.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Every grill has limitations... You can't cook large quantities of meat or burn logs for smoking in an Egg, like your offset smoker.

I had a BGE until it was knocked over and broken. Guess why they are called an EGG?
Great grills, but WAY overpriced, and too Damn many rules to follow to use properly, special charcoal etc.. Its more of a "status or look at my grill" thing, that I paid stupid money for.
In fact, my Weber kettle got way more use than the Egg because of it's simplicity to use. Dump any kind of charcoal in it and light it any way you see fit. The Weber is still going strong after 10 years with only replacing the charcoal grate and grill grate once or twice. Has the rotisserie ring also for some fine whole chickens.
Brisket, Ribs and Butts feeding any quantity won't happen on an Egg. You just can't beat an offset log burner for capacity or taste, plus it will eat any type of fuel you put in the firebox.

I "smoke" or BBQ with local hardwoods I harvest and season like hickory, pecan and oak. Some dry and some a bit on the green side.
I will be more than happy to put up one of my Butts or Briskets cooked on a log fired offset against a BGE any day, or on my old Weber.

The Big Green Egg is a great grill for someone who needs to impress friends that you can cook on a big ceramic flower pot. It has to be a great grill because it cost so much and requires more maintenance than a Bayliner Boat. . Real mean burn wood to cook on. :thumbup:
This is a good post. I have a BGE and a bunch of other stuff. It's always good to point out the limitations. Didn't another poster on here (JimT?) lose his BGE in a similar accident. I think the band holding the top loosened and it fell and broke?

I like the BGE, but it can be really clumsy to use sometimes and there really isn't much space.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
This is a good post. I have a BGE and a bunch of other stuff. It's always good to point out the limitations. Didn't another poster on here (JimT?) lose his BGE in a similar accident. I think the band holding the top loosened and it fell and broke?

I like the BGE, but it can be really clumsy to use sometimes and there really isn't much space.
Mine broke from my own stupidity. I was living on the water and the salt air took its toll on the nest and some hardware failed. The kids bumped into it and a leg collapsed. A table is a much better option over the nest.
You would think as much quality the manufacturer puts in the Egg itself, they would have a better design for the nest.

A BGE is a great grill with limitations like all grills have. I know a lot of folks on the forum own them and was just trying to ruffle some feathers with my lude comments about the Egg.

If BGE would build a reverse flow offset smoker, that would be one Hell of a grill! I imagine it would cost more than a new Pickup Truck.

·
Super Moderator
7,013 Posts
Congrats on your Egg, it can do pretty much whatever you need it to do and it is not difficult. No issues getting a good bark on my briskets and shoulders--

·
Super Moderator
19,612 Posts
Congrats on your Egg, it can do pretty much whatever you need it to do and it is not difficult. No issues getting a good bark on my briskets and shoulders--
+1
Always have a good heavy bark on my meat as well. He isn't doing something right.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
A BGE Nay-sayer???

First one I've heard of. We have a BGE for low and slow cooking and smoking, plus great steaks (and hairless nuckels until you learn the ropes). Also have a gas grill for quick dogs and burgers. The egg is great for us.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1
Always have a good heavy bark on my meat as well. He isn't doing something right.
I guess he`s not. I`ve never seen a nice bark on any of the meats he smokes. I guess I`ll have to study up and smoke it up and then give him a few pointers.
I`ve been reading about the burping process. Sounds like that doesn`t always work.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I guess he`s not. I`ve never seen a nice bark on any of the meats he smokes. I guess I`ll have to study up and smoke it up and then give him a few pointers.
I`ve been reading about the burping process. Sounds like that doesn`t always work.
The burping stuff is easy. Just a gentle lift or two of about a centimeter.

Great cooking device. I do like to see posts that point out some of the cons, though.

I've never had problems with bark or anything like that.

The BGE is kind of like talking about favorite bands or something like that...everybody always has different opinions.

·
Super Moderator
28,157 Posts
Recommend reading up on safety aspect of egg! I've lost arm hair more than once...awww the essence of burnt hair and hickory smoke,lol. Noticed a few folks has extra parts laying around, if anybody has a extra large egg firebox and fire ring for sale I am interested.
If you own an egg and haven't burnt up arm hair, you don't cook on it enough!!!!

I'm also in the same boat...have an spare medium and need the guts fer it! So if anyone cracked the exterior and have guts fer a medium laying around yell at me!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,157 Posts
Also have a gas grill for quick dogs and burgers. The egg is great for us.
Blasphme!!! hahaha....I've fired mine up just to cook a couple dawgs before....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
this is a good thread lol, i have read them all. The BGE is like ploitics love/hate with some owners. I love mine! I have lost arm hairs, & sprayed solarcaine on some burns! It took me bout dozen times to learn it, but iam a pro now! I can sear, slow cook and all the above with mine. It is on a table so its safe from falling. If i could just learn the wifey now** never! LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts